Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

I'm getting to the point where the questions/comments don't bother me

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:08 PM
  • 7 Replies

It's taken me awhile, but I think the questions/comments from people about my daughter are starting to not bother me like they used to.  We went to visit family this weekend who had only met her once, or not at all.  Most of them know at least a little about my daughter's condition, but not much. I consistently was told "She's so tiny" "She looks like nothing is wrong" and "She'll grow out of it".  I just shrugged them off and agreed.  I know she's tiny, I know she probably always will be and she has a genetic condition, it's not something someone can grow out of.  My aunt even said the reason she's so tiny is because she's not eating many solids yet.  (She's 8 months old and we just recently began solids but not very consistently because she doesn't need solids for anything but fun and practice until after a year)..  I always think it's funny when people think they know more about your kid than you do.  Oh well, I love everything about her and don't let anyone bother me anymore!

by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:27 PM
Good for you! I think sometimes people feel like they have to say something and since they really don't know much about it, some of their comments are "off base". As long as they're not made rudely, I try to let them roll of me too.
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Good for you, Mama!!  Glad you could get through it in stride! 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 7, 2014 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Hugs mama...I don't pay any attention to people anymore.  Most of them are just ignorant and don't have filters on their mouths...family included...speaking of mine:)

letstalk747
by Joy on Apr. 8, 2014 at 9:44 PM

good for you , i dont pay attention to others crap

Kaaden
by New Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 5:20 AM
2 moms liked this

Hmmm...I try not to pay attention to comments, but sometimes people still get to me.  Especially the people who don't believe the diagnoses so try to tell me 'every kid does that, they'll grow out of it'.  No actually, ASD is permanent.  Or the 'is she tired?'.  No, she is completely overwhelmed with these bright lights, and you getting in her face is making it worse!  

One day I'll rise above.....

imapepper
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Believe me, I get that way too.  It used to bring me to tears when I thought about it though.  Now, I just tell myself I know my daughter more then anyone else.  They can think what they like, but I know what's best for her.  People are usually trying to be optimistic and aren't informed.  I don't blame them for being ignorant on the subject of her health, I don't expect them to research it as much as I have.  It'd just be nice if they took my word that I know what I'm talking about more than they do concerning my daughter.

Quoting Kaaden:

Hmmm...I try not to pay attention to comments, but sometimes people still get to me.  Especially the people who don't believe the diagnoses so try to tell me 'every kid does that, they'll grow out of it'.  No actually, ASD is permanent.  Or the 'is she tired?'.  No, she is completely overwhelmed with these bright lights, and you getting in her face is making it worse!  

One day I'll rise above.....

michelles89
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:08 PM
I hate when people tell me my dd will outgrow her issues....she has severe probated feet. She has low tone. She falls a lot.... People say she'll get better at walking. Or when she was whined in all milestones they'd say she'll get it. She started walking 4 months ago and isn't much better at all waiting in orthotics, and in June we meet a neurologist and muscoloskeletal dr to see of they're going to do an MRI. Then well finally have some answer on sweet dd
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN