Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

How did you know your child was autistic?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 3:23 PM
  • 13 Replies

My daughter has been diagnosed with Bipolar. She looks like a normal child. She can even talk and hold conversations. She just does not act like a normal child. She does not understand emotions. She will mimic others emotions and play, and then act like they do. She can not sit still for two seconds, or follow through on directions. You can have a converstaion about dinner and two seconds later. She will ask what is for dinner. She does like loud noises and talks over everyone to be heard. She is on psychotropic medication. Although as the years go by I wonder if she could be slightly autistic, and if she is who do I go to see to test her? Will the school do the testing? She also has no long term memory. She is 8 and still can only read on a Kinder level, and has no concept of math or time at all. Any ideas is much appreciated.

pregnancy calendar
by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 3:44 PM

I noticed my son was not developing typically. He was not walking by 19 months. He was already talking (since 10 months) and during the evaulation he tested very high Cognitive function, but sensory issues, poor social development and low muscle tone led the pediatric neuro to dx him at 3.5 with Aspergers. He was accessed again at 5.5 and still has many sensory issues, still has some social awkwardness, poor pragmatic speech and has developed anxiety. 

My son recognizes emotions in others and is very astute in facial expressions. 

Jenn8604
by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 3:57 PM
My son regressed at 2.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 3:59 PM
A lot of people with aspergers are misdxd as bipolar and not aspergers.I do know this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 4:58 PM

If you want her evaluated for ASD, I would get a referral to a developmental pediatrician to test her.  You can also go to autismspeaks.org and do the MCHAT test for red flags or just look at their developmental red flag list to see if she seems to fit.  From what you list, I'm not sure that is your issue, but I am not a developmental pedi.  That is your best source (or developmental psychologist or neuropsychologist).

For my son it was beyond obvious; regressed in language before age 2 and lost all his words, lines up every like item in sight, very perticular about his obsessions - will only eat in shapes, extreme sensory issues, social delays, anxiety, etc.

For my daughter, well, she has multiple other developmental diagnosis, so it really took her seeing a doctor for me to see it fully.  I would have lumped her other delays into her other diagnoses.  

good luck! 

aakeiser
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 7:09 PM
We knew something was wrong because he would not sleep, had melt downs, major sensory issues and around 2 stop what talking he did and went to nonverbal. He has sebsory processing disorder, autism spectrum disorder, and has ocd..
letstalk747
by Joy on Apr. 8, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Request the school district to do a Autism eval , Hearing eval , and whatever else they havent done yet- if you havent already , and her DR to refer her to get evals also , so she gets  medical and educational DX's .

my son got ASD dx at 4ish

N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 11:51 PM

No one could hold my son when he was a baby. I was the only one to calm him down. Anyone else hold him he would cry and scream and not stop untill back in my arms. He would crawl around and around and around. He started talking but then stopped. He would not look at you when you call his name. He wanted to play alone.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 9, 2014 at 5:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree here.  I'd have her evaluated.  My son is autistic and he's 5.5 years old.  He was diagnosed at 18 months old...nonverbal, not walking (barely crawling), arm flapping, stimming, spinning in circles, etc.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

If you want her evaluated for ASD, I would get a referral to a developmental pediatrician to test her.  You can also go to autismspeaks.org and do the MCHAT test for red flags or just look at their developmental red flag list to see if she seems to fit.  From what you list, I'm not sure that is your issue, but I am not a developmental pedi.  That is your best source (or developmental psychologist or neuropsychologist).

For my son it was beyond obvious; regressed in language before age 2 and lost all his words, lines up every like item in sight, very perticular about his obsessions - will only eat in shapes, extreme sensory issues, social delays, anxiety, etc.

For my daughter, well, she has multiple other developmental diagnosis, so it really took her seeing a doctor for me to see it fully.  I would have lumped her other delays into her other diagnoses.  

good luck! 

Bee78
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 5:20 AM

Mine was a lot more subtle (he's got aspergers).  He was developing normally, just within range, so it was a feeling for the first several years.  He didn't play with toys normally, would zone out, line things up, was a human sponge with info, very into systems/organizing.  It really started manifesting itself in school settings, honestly.  We took him to a diagnostic psych at the Epilepsy/Brain center, had him evaluated for everything, and he came out with aspergers/adhd.  Took awhile, but he fits the bill. Good luck!

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 8:11 AM

My son regressed at 1. He had been talking and using utensils, and all of a sudden all of that stopped.

Then he started baging his head. I took this information to his pediatrician and that started the ball rolling with early intervention.

He was diagnosed at around 1 and a half years old. He's 5 now and in a special preschool getting ready to go to kindergarten

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN