Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Lina has a buddy........OT?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 1:04 AM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this

Robin-Christine wrote about a group called "I run for Micheal" so I checked it out. I liked what I read and signed Lina up for a runner, less than 24 hours later she was matched with her runner. They are a closed group so you have to request to join. The runners run for disabled persons no matter what age or disability. 

I am writing about this because I was reading some of the posts on the group page and saw that there is a man that is excited because he was just moved up to #690 on the waiting list to be matched up with a buddy. I thought that there might be a few of you in this group that would find this interesting and your little ones might like having a pen pal/computer pal I guess it what you'd call it now.  

I set up a page for Lina & Me so that it can have higher privacy settings since she is on there. Her runner is a young lady who has been waiting for a buddy to come along. She posted about how she was excited to have finally gotten a buddy. Lina is excited about having a buddy. So every night before bed we go over all the posts that her runner makes during the day and Lina is going to tell me what she wants to say. 

I saw on there where some people run just for the pleasure of it most run in marathons of some kind and there were a few that wrote about the training they are doing for triathalon's. These people are really dedicated and passionate not only to their sport but to their buddies too. It was wonderful to read what some of the pairs were writing to each other. 

I hope some of you can check this out. 

by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 1:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Robin-Christine
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 1:14 AM

Great you joined,I love this group!!!! Thor's buddy is pregnant so we have not heard from he rin a while,she is also a  RN student and her DH is deployed. Support is awesome,no judgement and the group is very active

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 1:28 AM

I like it and the girl seems really nice. We've only been matched since Sunday so we are still getting to know each other. From everything I've read of the people it really does seem like a really nice supportive group.

Quoting Robin-Christine:

Great you joined,I love this group!!!! Thor's buddy is pregnant so we have not heard from he rin a while,she is also a  RN student and her DH is deployed. Support is awesome,no judgement and the group is very active

mandee1503
by Amanda on Apr. 10, 2014 at 1:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I'll have to check it out seriously. Last time I looked as saw it was private I didn't request. I'm surprised there are so many runners and not more kids to run for.
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:35 AM

That sounds cool!!  How fun for you guys! 

jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:45 AM
There are a lot more people waiting for runners than people waiting for buddies. My sons buddy waited a few months to be matched, but we only waited a few days (less than a week).
letstalk747
by Joy on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:51 PM

very cool

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 5:23 PM

I was surprised too. I looked at it a couple of times then figured what the heck. I filled out the request figuring it would take a while to get her a match so I wasn't going to tell her until she got a buddy then I'd explain it to her. It was such a surprise to get matched so quickly. 

Quoting mandee1503: I'll have to check it out seriously. Last time I looked as saw it was private I didn't request. I'm surprised there are so many runners and not more kids to run for.

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

What is nice is that we don't have to do the running! I'd get to the end of the block and need an ambulance to get home! 

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

That sounds cool!!  How fun for you guys! 

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Is your son a runner or a buddy? It really surprised me when I saw the post about the runner being excited to move up to #690 on the list waiting for a buddy. Then today I saw 2 more posts from 2 seperate runners who said that they had run x miles for their future buddy. I plan on letting the few people I know that run even if they don't run marathons about this group.  

Quoting jjamom: There are a lot more people waiting for runners than people waiting for buddies. My sons buddy waited a few months to be matched, but we only waited a few days (less than a week).

jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 10, 2014 at 5:48 PM
My son is a buddy. He has a runner. Sorry I think I confused you because I said his "buddy".

Quoting Linagma03:

Is your son a runner or a buddy? It really surprised me when I saw the post about the runner being excited to move up to #690 on the list waiting for a buddy. Then today I saw 2 more posts from 2 seperate runners who said that they had run x miles for their future buddy. I plan on letting the few people I know that run even if they don't run marathons about this group.  

Quoting jjamom: There are a lot more people waiting for runners than people waiting for buddies. My sons buddy waited a few months to be matched, but we only waited a few days (less than a week).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN