Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

School and Therapy Balance?? How do you choose??

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 1:25 PM
  • 27 Replies

Ok, my 3 SN kiddos (5.5 years old in Kinder next year) have received several recent developmental diagnosis, and each addition causes a need for new services.  We are officially at the point where they need more therapies and school hours than I can fit in a day/week.  And I'm having a hard time saying I am going to 'deny' them anything they need, but there are 3 of them, and that is triple the time commitment on 1 parent when the therapies can not all be done at one time or even one location.  So, my question as many of you have to juggle therapies and schooling too.  If you can't get all your child's therapy needs met on their IEP/school time.  How do you choose between education and therapies?  Which is more important?  How do you pick?  I can't get the schools to provide all they need (as in may be physical need over educational need), and I can't get some critical therapies without committing to travel/therapy time at 5 hours a day, 5 days a week (and they still need more therapies than just that one which would not leave much time for school).  I can't figure out where my priority lies, and what is truly critical as they all are.  Any suggestions?  What do you ladies do? 

by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Apr. 10, 2014 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Jacob gets some therapy at school but I either try and arrange it for after school or he misses days. They understand. It's a sn school.
Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 1:35 PM

I would love after school.  I've been doing it on their Wednesdays off as prek doesn't go Wednesdays.  But next year in kinder it is 5 days school, and therapy told me with my 3 kids seeing 3 therapists each it will be hard to get them all in after school, so that probably won't happen.  It is really the only thereapy clinic in town, so it isn't like I can shop around.  I am still trying to do this though.  I do understand how so may parents want it after school!! 

Quoting mandee1503: Jacob gets some therapy at school but I either try and arrange it for after school or he misses days. They understand. It's a sn school.

Gloria1025
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

How do you feel about the different therapies?  Do you think they all benefit your children?  Trust your instincts and I do believe our children need time to play, relax etc. and just be kids.  These things benefit their development too.  To be honest - there have been times when I have not done some of the recommended therapies. There were therapies that after weeks, we were not seeing any benefit and he was missing out on time with his friends, family, school etc. and my husband and I "just said no".  Guess what - he is doing great without them, and in my opinion better than with them because he is less anxious and stressed because he isn't constantly being pushed.  Just this week my son's teacher called during school and said the Speech Therapist wanted to pull him from an activity that he was really enjoying and learning from - I gave the Speech Therapist the OK to skip that session and apologized if it was wasting her time going to see him.  She agreed that it was more beneficial for him to stay with his class but she wasn't allowed to make that call (but I was).  It is a balance.

Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 2:38 PM

I completely agree kids need time to be kids!!!  But it seems to work better in theory than practice at my house.  And while my instincts normally do not lead me a stray, I literally have none right now on this issue.  I'm completely stuck.  They need it all, and two of them will not have the same opportunities in life without these than if they have them.  They will not work it out on their own, it will all need to be taught.  So it's hard for me to pick at kindergarten age to give up academics for the therapies.  I just don't know!!  Thanks for your input.  So glad your son is doing great either way!

Quoting Gloria1025:

How do you feel about the different therapies?  Do you think they all benefit your children?  Trust your instincts and I do believe our children need time to play, relax etc. and just be kids.  These things benefit their development too.  To be honest - there have been times when I have not done some of the recommended therapies. There were therapies that after weeks, we were not seeing any benefit and he was missing out on time with his friends, family, school etc. and my husband and I "just said no".  Guess what - he is doing great without them, and in my opinion better than with them because he is less anxious and stressed because he isn't constantly being pushed.  Just this week my son's teacher called during school and said the Speech Therapist wanted to pull him from an activity that he was really enjoying and learning from - I gave the Speech Therapist the OK to skip that session and apologized if it was wasting her time going to see him.  She agreed that it was more beneficial for him to stay with his class but she wasn't allowed to make that call (but I was).  It is a balance.

jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 10, 2014 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Alex gets some therapies in school, but he gets private speech therapy and private feeding therapy each on e a week. Luckily there is an SLP who works late hours at the feeding clinic, so we see her at 5 pm. Private speech is about 30-40 mins away, so I take Alex out if school at 2:30 (dismissal is 3:05) every Monday for that. Although I think he could benefit from private OT and PT as well, I just don't think I could swing adding another therapy or two into the mix with the other kids. It is really difficult as it is right now with the other kids activities trying to coordinate everything. We missed feeding therapy on Tues, in fact, b/c my DH is out if town and my DD had a lacrosse game from 4-5 and we have to leave between 4 and 4:15 for feeding therapy at 5 and then don't get home until between 6:30 and 7:00. I can't be in two places at once!

So, in a nutshell, if I feel a therapy is essential (like his private speech) I will take him out if school for it. We have done that since preschool, so when he transitioned to K, I didn't ask, I just told them we would be doing that. No one has ever given me a hard time, but it is only the last 1/2 hour once a week.
letstalk747
by Joy on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

i found a place that did therapy on saturday's but it wasnt easy

Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Yea, I understand that.  It is kind of how we have it set now.  But if I want to let the 2 kids try ABA, I would literally have to take them out of school until noon each and every day, plus still fit in outside OT and Speech in the afternoon time that would be left at school.  It's just a mess, and I'm not sure what is more important/beneficial for them. 

Quoting jjamom: Alex gets some therapies in school, but he gets private speech therapy and private feeding therapy each on e a week. Luckily there is an SLP who works late hours at the feeding clinic, so we see her at 5 pm. Private speech is about 30-40 mins away, so I take Alex out if school at 2:30 (dismissal is 3:05) every Monday for that. Although I think he could benefit from private OT and PT as well, I just don't think I could swing adding another therapy or two into the mix with the other kids. It is really difficult as it is right now with the other kids activities trying to coordinate everything. We missed feeding therapy on Tues, in fact, b/c my DH is out if town and my DD had a lacrosse game from 4-5 and we have to leave between 4 and 4:15 for feeding therapy at 5 and then don't get home until between 6:30 and 7:00. I can't be in two places at once! So, in a nutshell, if I feel a therapy is essential (like his private speech) I will take him out if school for it. We have done that since preschool, so when he transitioned to K, I didn't ask, I just told them we would be doing that. No one has ever given me a hard time, but it is only the last 1/2 hour once a week.

Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:33 PM

That is awesome.  We have zero that do weekends or even anything after 4:30. 

Quoting letstalk747:

i found a place that did therapy on saturday's but it wasnt easy

Gloria1025
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:48 PM

I am no expert in ABA but the little I do understand, it seems like it is a technique used to teach skills.  So I guess my question is what skills will they be teaching your children during their ABA sessions?  For example,  I have heard of others having ABA therapy to teach language and speech so, perhaps you can deprioritize the separate speech therapy for a while if they are getting it during the ABA sessions? Not sure if that helps at all. 

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Yea, I understand that.  It is kind of how we have it set now.  But if I want to let the 2 kids try ABA, I would literally have to take them out of school until noon each and every day, plus still fit in outside OT and Speech in the afternoon time that would be left at school.  It's just a mess, and I'm not sure what is more important/beneficial for them. 

Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:54 PM

That is a good point.  I honestly do not know a ton about the therapy or the 'what' will be worked on.  They dont' even get an eval until their name comes up on the wait list, and that is about 3-5 months (so right at school start time). 

Quoting Gloria1025:

I am no expert in ABA but the little I do understand, it seems like it is a technique used to teach skills.  So I guess my question is what skills will they be teaching your children during their ABA sessions?  For example,  I have heard of others having ABA therapy to teach language and speech so, perhaps you can deprioritize the separate speech therapy for a while if they are getting it during the ABA sessions? Not sure if that helps at all. 

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)