Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 8:16 AM
  • 9 Replies
My 12 year old daughter has been becoming very frustrated VERY easily and cries at the drop of a hat and is tired all the time. She takes at least an hour nap when she gets home from school and then goes to bed at 8:30. I took her to the same psychiatrist that my other 13 yo daughter (she has adhd ) and I go to (I am bipolar). They said that they think she has disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder and put her on 10 mg of abilify. I have not seen a difference in her yet she's been taking it for a month. I've read some things about this disorder and her symptoms are similar to that. Has anyone else ever received this diagnosis for their child? If so what meds were recommended? I just want to help her feel better.
by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry Mama I have not.  Hopefully someone else here will know something.  

Welcome to the group and good luck! 

bunnywzrd
by New Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 8:33 AM

BUMP!

letstalk747
by Joy on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:09 PM

welcome , i havent

arkmomma06
by Angie on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:12 PM
Never heard of it

Hope the medicine helps
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 7:33 PM

sorry.. I dont know much about it-- aside from what Ie read in Dr. Greenes "the Explosive child book".
I hope you find the help you need.

gummibr
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 7:56 PM

My son was almost diagnosed with this but his psychiatrist knew he really is bipolar and side-stepped this new diagnosis.  From my understanding, the symptoms are very similar to bipolar and has received a lot of criticism because it allows young children to be diagnosed with a disorder..  My son also takes abilify 0.5 mg 3x/day.  He is only five though so not sure what a dosage for an older child would be.  He initially took risperdal but we did not have the same response, which has been good on the abilify.

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 8:38 PM
We haven't dealt with that diagnosis. Two of mine are very easily frustrated and cry easy though. I know how frustrating and exhausting that can be, for you and your child.
Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 9:58 PM
Is she getting enough sleep?
kajira
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 1:25 AM

My son doesn't have that mood disorder, but he's easily frustrated and cries about everything, specifically when he doesn't get his way or has to put any effort into it. He also sleeps *a lot* to function at a semi normal level.

He takes respiderdol though. But he wasn't taking it for the mood issues or outbursts like that, he took it for psychosis, and it did what it needed to do, I did notice his moodswings and temperment improved quite a bit on it beyond the stabilization it encouraged.

If abilify isn't working, I would talk to your doctor. I actually know quite a few people who got worse on abilify including worse mood swings, anger issues, violent outbursts - I would be scared to put my son on that one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)