Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

would you spend 500$ a month on private school for your autistic daughter? piog

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 6:10 PM
  • 28 Replies

My 7 yr old is high functioning autism adhd and sensory processing disorder we had her in public the last 2 yrs but she is been bullied beyond belif and the teachers dont do nothing about it. So i pulled her out begining of march and am homeschooling but thats not working she needs structure and a scheudule i cant provide so we are chosing private school which is 500 a month so instead of being a sahm ill have to go back to work so again is private school worth it? All the public schools in our district are bad

by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
letstalk747
by Joy on Apr. 12, 2014 at 6:18 PM

if i went and observed and met the staff and felt ok about it , yes i would

dawncs
by Dawn on Apr. 12, 2014 at 6:27 PM

It depends on the situation with the private school. They can have some of the same problems as public depending on the situation. There was a discussion about what happened to one on the spectrum in one of the Autism groups on it. I would check with the private school before signing up.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 12, 2014 at 6:36 PM
2 moms liked this

Yep.  I'd do it if it was best for my child.  My son will be attending a private school next year...private school for autistic children.  He will be in Kindergarten.  We will be paying about $200 each month for our portion of his school.  The actual tuition is $39,000/year, but our insurance covers a huge portion of it so we are grateful for that.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 7:20 PM

If it was the right school for my kid, would give them what they needed to succeed, and I could afford it, I see no reason why not to. 

Cindy18
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 7:39 PM

A question and a comment.....

Why can't you give her the structure she needs if you are homeschooling? 

If it was the best thing for my child, I would go to the ends of the earth across broken glass to do it. But beware, bullying can happen anywhere, even in the best, most expensive private schools.

~~Cindy

jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 12, 2014 at 8:08 PM
2 moms liked this
If the public schools in my area could not provide what my son needed and I could not move to an area better equipped, then yes, I would definitely pursue the private school route. However, just make sure you really check out the private schools, some are very good, some not so much so. I would also make sure you have an understanding ahead of time of what the school is willing and able to do. If they cannot guarantee what you are looking for, move on to other options.
blessedfamily06
by Melissa on Apr. 12, 2014 at 8:15 PM

cause she is not getting austim therapy right now or spd  therapy so she is all over the place she is also not on adhd meds right now so that is hard too 

Quoting Cindy18:

If it was the best thing for my child, I would go to the ends of the earth across broken glass to do it. But beware, bullying can happen anywhere, even in the best, most expensive private schools.

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 8:17 PM
Does your insurance cover therapies or did you lose them when you pulled her from school?

Quoting blessedfamily06:

cause she is not getting austim therapy right now or spd  therapy so she is all over the place she is also not on adhd meds right now so that is hard too 

Quoting Cindy18:

spastic_poodle
by New Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 8:18 PM
Sure. Daycare costs just as much anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cindy18
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Why isn't she on her meds?

What if you got her the therapys she needs with the money, got her back on her meds, then could you homeschool?

I'm not bashing, truly but I would hate for you to shell out that kind of money and something happen at this new school.

Quoting blessedfamily06:

Quoting Cindy18:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)