Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to go about getting services

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 2:41 PM
  • 9 Replies

We live in Hawaii on Big Island and let me just tell you there is not anything here for kids and I really need adivse on getting more services out here.

Does anyone know how to go about this?  My daughter just got labeled autistic and I was told that and then nothing else.... We need help out here and I will not get pushed aside like I mean nothing just cause I live on an island...

Please we need help.

by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
by Michele on Apr. 13, 2014 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this
There are a couple Moms here who live in Hawaii (two different Islands). Hopefully they'll chime in.

But, I would contact your pediatrician and/or school system. They should have the information you need about setting up therapy services. If your child is school aged, you will need to request an ARD meeting. That will be the first step to getting your child an IEP (individualized Education Plan) and services theough the school system. How old is your daughter?
by Ruby Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 3:09 PM

yup if you havent already

DR and school- even if not school age yet-contact your school dist. and request evals to be done

by Dawn on Apr. 13, 2014 at 3:40 PM

 Welcome to the group! Have you contacted your school district in writing to get her special education services ( It is free to receive them. I also recommend,, and To keep up on the latest Autism research, I recommend

by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 3:42 PM
I would definitely put a call in to the pedi and school district.
Good luck!
by Darby on Apr. 13, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Welcome to the group!  These ladies have some good advice:)  Hugs and good luck!

by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 4:55 PM

I agree with the other ladies.  Dr and School. 

by Amanda on Apr. 13, 2014 at 7:14 PM
Good luck!
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 12:59 PM

I need to call the S.D. where I am living now, a little more background I guess is needed:

So we moved to Hawaii back in July and we started our girls in school in August.  My youngest daughter and the one with special needs is 6 back in Texas where we moved from she was in two different programs.  The first was a program called PPCD and it was half a day where they took her to school and she was in a special education room with a teacher and extras and they helped "teach" her.  Then the next year she went into what was called PCD.  Which was like PPCD but it was a full day and she was in a special ed room but was also included in a regular kinder room with a special ed teacher there to help her.  So we came here with an I.E.P from Texas that stated to retain her in kinder.  Well we get here the school here tells us we don't retain special needs kid she HAS to go into first cause of how old she is.  So we had issues with the first public school we put her in from the start.  The issues just kept happening and then when I was shown first hand that they were not caring for my special needs child in the right way and I found out her general ed teacher HIT a student and was still working there I was DONE!!!!!!  I couldn't have my daughters be at that school anymore.  So I took my oldest and youngest out and started home schooling.  We have moved to a different area of the island now and the girls would be going to a different school now but after what we went through with the past school my hubs and I are very uneasy about the school system here and I have heard from many that the school system here lacks....  I haven't spoken with the school over here but I can honestly say I'm nervous to even deal with them.... The first school we went to gave us a lot of promises and broke every one....  I don't want to go through that again.

by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Living here in Hawaii is hard! We are in Maui and we do get OT/PT/speech and an aide for my daughter. For us we had no issues in the school she is in. We just had an IEP meeting, had all the records from her doctor's, and decided with them the services needed. (Only hiccup was the bus service and the nurse, but that was quickly resolved). Try speaking to the new school about your concerns. They may be more helpful to you than the old one. Good luck! Im here if you need.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)