Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Anyone know anything about ANSD?

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 10:46 AM
  • 11 Replies
After my sons drs appointment on the first he gave us a referral for an ent to see if the ent could shed some light on what's going on with him and why he's so behind on his speech. The ENT appointment isn't until the 24th so I've been researching everything and came across ANSD (auditory neuropathy spectrum disorder.) It sounds a lot like my son. So I'm just wondering if anyone has had this diagnosis and what signs/symptoms did your child have if it wasn't detected at birth.
(He never passed the newborn hearing screen but the Drs never seemed worried about it and at age 2 he had his hearing tested and he passed.)
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 14, 2014 at 10:59 AM
I have no experience with this, but here's a bump.
stormystar15
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks!

Quoting jjamom: I have no experience with this, but here's a bump.
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:14 AM

This.  Good luck, Mama! 

Quoting jjamom: I have no experience with this, but here's a bump.

Lennyloves
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:49 AM
My son is eight and was dx with central auditory processing disorder. I could have him seen by a Neuro but,they are pretty confident with the testing they completed. I think a read about AN SD when I was looking up my sons condition. Now that I have his dx, we are just able to accommodate his learning style a bit more at school, but speech and language strategies remain the same for us.
stormystar15
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 1:19 PM
How is his speech and language? My son is only 3 and I've come to find that speech therapy isn't really doing anything for him because he progressed and then regressed in about a month time span. His speech eval said his understanding of language is at the same level of an 18 month old with expressive and articulation at 14 and 13 month old.

Quoting Lennyloves: My son is eight and was dx with central auditory processing disorder. I could have him seen by a Neuro but,they are pretty confident with the testing they completed. I think a read about AN SD when I was looking up my sons condition. Now that I have his dx, we are just able to accommodate his learning style a bit more at school, but speech and language strategies remain the same for us.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Good luck!

letstalk747
by Joy on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:14 PM

welcome , never heard of this

stormystar15
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:23 PM
Thanks!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Good luck!

stormystar15
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks!

Quoting letstalk747:

welcome , never heard of this

Lennyloves
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:46 PM

It has been very slow going.  He is in second grade and this year started to have significant trouble. I had been feeling like we were missing something.  After talking with his teachers, I started looking into auditory issues because, I was worried it was impacting his work.  Turns out it is playing a role.  Not a huge one, but enough to need some accommodations during school.  In a quiet one-on-one speech and language lesson, he is able to make improvements.  It is hard right now to make that transition to normal settings.  I do a lot of repeating at home.  The school enlivenment doesn't always allow for that, and he shout down with his frustration and it makes it hard for him to participate. It seems like two steps forward and one back.

Quoting stormystar15: How is his speech and language? My son is only 3 and I've come to find that speech therapy isn't really doing anything for him because he progressed and then regressed in about a month time span. His speech eval said his understanding of language is at the same level of an 18 month old with expressive and articulation at 14 and 13 month old.
Quoting Lennyloves: My son is eight and was dx with central auditory processing disorder. I could have him seen by a Neuro but,they are pretty confident with the testing they completed. I think a read about AN SD when I was looking up my sons condition. Now that I have his dx, we are just able to accommodate his learning style a bit more at school, but speech and language strategies remain the same for us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)