Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Is She Changing Her Tune?

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:15 PM
  • 9 Replies

Jenny McCarthy Now Saying She Is 'Pro-Vaccine'

by Michele Zipp

jenny mccarthyIt has been widely believed that Jenny McCarthy is anti-vaccine. Ever since her son, Evan (who is now 11) was diagnosed with autism, McCarthy has spoken out on the disorder. Her words are one of the reasons many parents do not vaccinate their children for fear that giving your children shots causes autism.

Now McCarthy wants to clear that up and tell the world that she is really pro-vaccine. Her latest thoughts on the topic may actually have a new set of parents believing what she has to say.

In an article for the Chicago Sun-Times, McCarthy writes:

I am not "anti-vaccine." This is not a change in my stance nor is it a new position that I have recently adopted. For years, I have repeatedly stated that I am, in fact, "pro-vaccine" and for years I have been wrongly branded as "anti-vaccine."  My beautiful son, Evan, inspired this mother to question the “one size fits all” philosophy of the recommended vaccine schedule. I embarked on this quest not only for myself and my family, but for countless parents who shared my desire for knowledge that could lead to options and alternate schedules, but never to eliminate the vaccines.  Blatantly inaccurate blog posts about my position have been accepted as truth by the public at large as well as media outlets (legitimate and otherwise), who have taken those false stories and repeatedly turned them into headlines. What happened to critical thinking? What happened to asking questions because every child is different? 

That's how her post began. It drew me in immediately. Having one's words being twisted is an awful and powerless feeling. Particularly on the matter of parenthood. Jenny goes on:

For my child, I asked for a schedule that would allow one shot per visit instead of the multiple shots they were and still are giving infants.  I am passionate about important conversations on how we can improve health care for our children and generations to come. This is an extremely important discussion and I am dumbfounded that these conversations are discounted and negated because the answers are not black or white. Again I ask, what happened to critical thinking? 

The fact that there are frequent discussions about autism now is important. Just writing about it or thinking about it raises awareness. We all know something more must be done -- and there are many working to find a cure, learn more, give kids the best treatment. And I do believe we need to question everything. Jenny is a mother. First and foremost. Her son was diagnosed with autism. She did what any great parent would do and question everything. Not everyone would come up with the same hypothesis as she did, but this is her journey, her life, her son's life, her son's journey.

I will also say that I never like to discount a mother's intuition. Ever. Even when it comes to vaccines. Jenny's words here ring so true for me:

This is what I believe: I believe in the importance of a vaccine program and I believe parents have the right to choose one poke per visit. I’ve never told anyone to not vaccinate. Should a child with the flu receive six vaccines in one doctor visit? Should a child with a compromised immune system be treated the same way as a robust, healthy child? Shouldn’t a child with a family history of vaccine reactions have a different plan? Or at least the right to ask questions?  I will continue to say what I have always said: "One size does not fit all." God help us all if gray is no longer an option. 

I have refused vaccinations for my children when they have been sick. I have said no to multiple shots in one visit. I've declined getting next year's shots this year in order to save a doctor's visit. I have declined certain immunizations for my children. I also, like Jenny, believe in the importance of a vaccine program. She's right. One size does not fit all.

What do you think of Jenny McCarthy's latest on vaccinations and autism?

by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Oh geez.

jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 14, 2014 at 7:06 PM
I agree with what she says here. My children are all fully vaccinated, but I did have my youngest's spread out. Two of my nieces (one my husbands niece, one my sisters daughter, so unrelated to each other) both had quite severe reactions to vaccines. I know vaccines are not without issues, I know they are not always safe, but I do still believe the vaccine program as a whole saves lives and the spread of disease. It's kind of a roll of the dice and I hold my breath every time one of my children gets another shot.
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Not reading, don't care.  So over the vac debate, and a celebrity will not influence me.  I think the vac debate gets posted too much in these groups.

letstalk747
by Joy on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:11 PM

if she really said all this she is a liar , i have seen her on talk shows she WAS anti shot period.

jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:02 PM
That's what I thought too. I definitely recall her being a big part of the "green our vaccines" movement. I'm not against that, to be honest, I think vaccines have a lot of junk in them that could probably be removed to the benefit of our kids. But, if she is going to claim she was never anti-vax, I think she needs to put on her big girl panties and come out and say "Maybe I was wrong". Even if she says the media twisted her words in print, doesn't she realize there is footage of her talking about it all over the place?

Quoting letstalk747:

if she really said all this she is a liar , i have seen her on talk shows she WAS anti shot period.

letstalk747
by Joy on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:48 PM

yup

Quoting jjamom: That's what I thought too. I definitely recall her being a big part of the "green our vaccines" movement. I'm not against that, to be honest, I think vaccines have a lot of junk in them that could probably be removed to the benefit of our kids. But, if she is going to claim she was never anti-vax, I think she needs to put on her big girl panties and come out and say "Maybe I was wrong". Even if she says the media twisted her words in print, doesn't she realize there is footage of her talking about it all over the place?
Quoting letstalk747:

Lennyloves
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 10:23 PM

I dont really know enough about it to really say one way or another.  I just remember when this talk all started she was there in the middle of it, now her she is kinda back tracking and trying to redeem herself.

Watching her now, I feel like MAYBE in the beginning like most parents, she wanted to know WHY this happened to her kid, what caused it, etc.  She found some information (no matter how miss-leading it may have turned out to be) and thought to herself- HEY this fits.  She spoke too soon and now is having to "eat her words" and "save face".  I dont entirely fault her though, she was probably trying find answers and went with what she thought fit, sadly a lot of people may have agreed.  

But do you think if she did not shed light on the Vax, in the first place, do you think that it would have been discussed at the rate it has been? A celeb status can influence the masses for the good and bad.  If anything, at least people are more aware and conservative in their vax schedule.

Cindy18
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 7:29 AM
I, to, remember her saying that she believed that vaccines caused autism. So now she is back peddling.

What I don't understand is the adults that let her opinion influence such a major life choice.
jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 15, 2014 at 11:18 AM
Yep, I agree here. If you are going to be a mother, you should be able to make decisions for yourself or seek advice from medical experts, not rely on a celebrity to tell you what to do.

Although I do think she is back pedaling, I also think people are making too much of her opinions and comments.

Quoting Cindy18: I, to, remember her saying that she believed that vaccines caused autism. So now she is back peddling.

What I don't understand is the adults that let her opinion influence such a major life choice.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)