Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Info on Autism

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:54 PM
  • 9 Replies

I don't know much but I have noticed that several moms have 2 or 3 kids with Autism.

Have they found a genetic link to Autism?  Are you more likely to have a second child with Autism if you already have one?

by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MamaLauri
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Autism, as other disabilities, is a behavioral label, not a medical diagnosis. Most people with the label Autism have behaviors due to a combination of genes and environment.

Each of their siblings have a 50% chance to being labeled gifted, dyslexic, dyscalculia, ADHD/ADD and Autism/Aspergers because of strong visual/right brain dominance with weak hemisphere connectivity to the verbal/left brain where word and math symbology, and social communication processing takes place. Gifted comes from strength of local connectivity and the right brain being the center of critical thinking.

Early activities that increase connectivity and visual based teaching minimizes the challenges while keeping the advantages.  Current culture and education system does not do this, so many children are left with the challenges. (Before the 1920's, most teaching was visual and kinetic, learn by watching and doing, not reading. Kids had many activities that built connections and less sensory over-stimulation.)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 21, 2014 at 7:18 PM

I have one son with Autism...he's our only child.  We aren't having any more.  I personally believe there is some sort of genetic component to Autism, but there are so many different studies out there.

Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 7:22 PM
I'm done having kids, because I am single. I do believe it is genetic. I know women who are asd and have asd kids or they arent and dh is and all their kids are asd.
I also have suspicions my ex was on the spectrum
Chances are I PROBABLY wouldn't have another asd child IF I EVER found someone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Some forms of ASD are genetic, some are set off by other factors.  I have 2 with ASD, however we have no other ASD in either of our families, and my doctors do not feel ours has a genetic component.  The two I have were both predisposed because of their extreme prematurity, low birth weights, birth complications, and situations during their first few months of life.  Doctors believe that neither of them would have had autism if they had a different birth situation, but being that they are triplets, they had very similar experience. 

letstalk747
by Joy on Apr. 21, 2014 at 7:41 PM

i have read alot of articles ect... we may never REALLY know

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 7:48 PM
I have 3 with autism. Our Dr wants us to do genetic counseling, but we haven't got there yet. Yes,there is most likely a genetic component. Yes, the chances are higher when you have one already. Its not a guarantee though.
aakeiser
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:58 AM
I know they did a study last year and I can't find the article, but they were able to give a rat autism. I wish I saved it. I know there are other studies with rats and autism. Rats have been used since 1800 and 1900s. Watson, Skinner, and many other founders of psychology used rats. This study did show in some cases it is genetic. I believe personally it is genetic, environmental, age of the parents, their health, so basically a little of everything. I know I was under a lot of stress with Xavier. I was in my 30s, I have dyslexia, and dh family history of adhd. I also had sugary in oct. and conceived xavier that following april. I was taking heavy meds until feb or march because I had shoulder surgery. I got off the pill around feb and was told it would be six months before I could conceive. Dh and I got married that april. Take all that into account and I feel that a little of everything.
beantheween
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:48 PM
I only have one child and she has been diagnosed with Aspergers. I also have a nephew who has been diagnosed with Aspergers.

My DD also has other diagnoses that no one else related to her has. I don't know how much of her issues stem from genetics or from the complications during her delivery.
jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:03 AM
I think what I recall reading is that they think there is something genetic and then something environmental that triggers it. I know a few families who have more than one child with autism and then a family who has two children and only one has autism. I'm not sure if anyone can really pinpoint the likelihood that siblings will also have autism, not until more is understood about the cause(s).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)