Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Special Olympics and the stigma.

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:00 PM
  • 32 Replies

Have any of you wanted to put your kids in Special Olympics just to have a family member or spouse get upset and say that you can't do that because it is only for the kids with obvious disablities, in all areas. 

I am asking this because there was a flyer sent home about Special Olympics and I was thinking about checking it out and if it would fit into the schedule I'd see about putting Lina in one of the programs. I told DH about it and showed him the flyer and he said NO. I asked why and he said that she is not a child that needs to be in the S.O. that she has too much advantage on those kids. I was astonished at what he said and after talking/argueing mildly about it I just left it. 

So I'm just curious if any of you have dealt with this subject and if it was a sticky one. 

by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lennyloves
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:26 PM

My son participated in the S.O. in AK last year. (we have since moved)  It was only a one day event.  Because of our location, I think the event was held for kids with a wide range of disabilities.  There just isn't a large population of kids with disabilities. He had a great time and played basketball.  I'm not entirely certain about the details, but they kinda had a mix of kids together, so kids were playing off each others strengths and weakness.  For us it was a good way for my son to completely fit it, no one was going to judge him. Our experience was positive.  If you are being offered a spot, it is worth looking into, IMO. good luck.

Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:27 PM

No, but my kids are still too little.  I would think there would be qualifications for it, and if Lina fits then why not?  I'd love to see my kids do it someday if possible.

arkmomma06
by Angie on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:49 PM
My son is in Special Olympics. He does the bowling & track /field
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:07 PM

I am glad that he had fun.        I don't know exactly how it works because after talking to him I have just left it alone for the time being. 

Here where we are they hold a weekend Special Olympics event on the Military Base with families and competitors coming from pretty far away. The base was called Ft. Lewis just outside of Tacoma Washington now the base is called Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM). 

Quoting Lennyloves:

My son participated in the S.O. in AK last year. (we have since moved)  It was only a one day event.  Because of our location, I think the event was held for kids with a wide range of disabilities.  There just isn't a large population of kids with disabilities. He had a great time and played basketball.  I'm not entirely certain about the details, but they kinda had a mix of kids together, so kids were playing off each others strengths and weakness.  For us it was a good way for my son to completely fit it, no one was going to judge him. Our experience was positive.  If you are being offered a spot, it is worth looking into, IMO. good luck.

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:10 PM

I don't know anything about qualifications or process because after we had our "discussion" I have just left it alone for now. When they are older I hope that you can get them into something with Special Olympics. 

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

No, but my kids are still too little.  I would think there would be qualifications for it, and if Lina fits then why not?  I'd love to see my kids do it someday if possible.

Lennyloves
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:12 PM

When I was in tech school in Mississippi (keesler), Our base held the S.O. The participants stayed with us in our dorm rooms, we took them to their events and had meals, spent time with them, had a carnival for them.  It was a great experience.  It was a much larger scale then what my son participated in. 

Quoting Linagma03:

I am glad that he had fun.        I don't know exactly how it works because after talking to him I have just left it alone for the time being. 

Here where we are they hold a weekend Special Olympics event on the Military Base with families and competitors coming from pretty far away. The base was called Ft. Lewis just outside of Tacoma Washington now the base is called Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM). 

Quoting Lennyloves:

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Is there a special process that has to be gone thru before a child can participate? I bet he has a lot of fun.  

Quoting arkmomma06: My son is in Special Olympics. He does the bowling & track /field

jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:39 PM
My son hasn't participated to date, but I know a lot of kids who do and really enjoy it. My son is just now old enough (min age is 8, I believe) and I hope to get him involved in it soon.

I think it's crazy that there is some kind of stigma with it. It's a wonderful program from everything I've heard, and welcomes children with a wide range of disabilities. Do you think your DH is experiencing a bit of denial? Or do you think he would be embarrassed? I think it would be great for Lina!
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 12:15 AM
Sometimes I really believe he is in denial about her disabilities because of the progress she has made.

Quoting jjamom: My son hasn't participated to date, but I know a lot of kids who do and really enjoy it. My son is just now old enough (min age is 8, I believe) and I hope to get him involved in it soon.

I think it's crazy that there is some kind of stigma with it. It's a wonderful program from everything I've heard, and welcomes children with a wide range of disabilities. Do you think your DH is experiencing a bit of denial? Or do you think he would be embarrassed? I think it would be great for Lina!
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 12:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I was born in Keesler Air Force Hospital a very long time ago. Lol. The one here is pretty big but I don't know much about it. It looks like everyone has fun. I don't go because the place is so packed you can't get anywhere on Post that weekend let alone near the events.

Quoting Lennyloves:

When I was in tech school in Mississippi (keesler), Our base held the S.O. The participants stayed with us in our dorm rooms, we took them to their events and had meals, spent time with them, had a carnival for them.  It was a great experience.  It was a much larger scale then what my son participated in. 

Quoting Linagma03:

Quoting Lennyloves:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)