Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Dairy and behavior issues

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 2:44 AM
  • 9 Replies

Hey ladies,

Do any of your little ones have behavior issues with dairy? My lil guy is on almond milk because regular dairy milk makes him super constipated, but I noticed when he eats other dairy like cheeses, ice cream, ect he is just a nightmare behaviorwise. Part of me thinks it's because it's hurting his tummy and he's just uncomfortable, but we have cut out dairy since Tuesday and he is just a happy little kid 99% of the time now. Monday our babysitter gave him some cheese and tons of hitting, biting, screaming, etc. He was better Tuesday and Wednesday, but today he was just full of love and kisses and I haven't seen him be this happy in such a long time. I'm almost wondering if it's more than just discomfort and is truly affecting his behavior.

by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 2:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:04 AM

My son does.  We use to call him Buddha belly as it would stick out like a pregnant woman's.  He would act out in many ways.  Then after being fed milk for two years we found out he had a true milk allergy.  We switched him to soy and most stopped.  But he still can have some issues if he gets real pizza or ice cream.  We're trying a probiotic now to help with that and I think it is working.

yo_ho
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 1:28 PM

A probiotic sounds like a great idea! I've been looking into suppliments and I'm getting a list =)

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

My son does.  We use to call him Buddha belly as it would stick out like a pregnant woman's.  He would act out in many ways.  Then after being fed milk for two years we found out he had a true milk allergy.  We switched him to soy and most stopped.  But he still can have some issues if he gets real pizza or ice cream.  We're trying a probiotic now to help with that and I think it is working.

letstalk747
by Joy on Apr. 25, 2014 at 4:31 PM

no not that i notice

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:21 PM
That's interesting. My LO gets constipated from milk too and goes through periods where he refuses milk. He doesn't eat well when he drinks it, but I'm not sure if it affects his behavior since he still eats other dairy products. I'll have to do a trial.
jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:51 PM
My two older kids can have dairy intolerance. I don't think it's a true allergy because it doesn't always bother them and it doesn't happen every time they have dairy. No behavior issues, so I'm not sure.

It would be awesome if you have figured out that something is making your son act out and you can avoid it! Keep us posted!
yo_ho
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Today his EI therapist even said how well he is doing. OT came and saw him and she had to take toys to get any negative reaction from him, but he calmed down in under a minute. So hoping this is an easy answer!

Quoting jjamom: My two older kids can have dairy intolerance. I don't think it's a true allergy because it doesn't always bother them and it doesn't happen every time they have dairy. No behavior issues, so I'm not sure.

It would be awesome if you have figured out that something is making your son act out and you can avoid it! Keep us posted!
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 2:57 AM
1 mom liked this
That is great. I hope it keeps working for you. When Lina was a baby I put her on probiotic and it helped her greatly because she doesn't digest her food well. I went to the local health food store and they had several kinds what I liked was that they had a brand that was for infants, kids & adults that one had to stay in the fridge. She is on them again and now that she is older she takes the adult dosage. Her GI told me to get Align. Before you give him any make sure to find out how they do dosing. I believe in doing dosing by weight when possible because it works better than going by age.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 26, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Good luck...my son isn't affected by diary to be honest.  

JulesFairy
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:13 AM
Not my personal story but a friend of mine had a son who is autistic and according to her, he was a BRAT of a child if he had dairy. It was something she had cut from his diet before I met them but she said he would become grumpy, and throw fits, and just all around attitude.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN