Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Going gluten free?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:41 AM
  • 16 Replies
My son was diagnosed with spd about 2 Years ago. Some of the behaviors have dissappeared (sp?) such as putting inedible things in his mouth(leaves, napkins, etc), stuffing his mouth while eating and letting the food sit in there. He is still very hyper at times where he nor and others have a hard time calming him down. He has also developed a stutter because *I* think his mind is going so fast his mouth cant keep up with what he is trying to say. He is 5 by the way.

Ok so at his parent teacher conference his teacher brought up that last year I mentioned meds. Mainly because I was so overwhelmed at the time. Back then she said she personally didnt think it was needed. His dr agreed. Now she is suggesting he be evaluated for adhd. She is concerned his behavior will make kindergarten next year difficult for him. I have done some research that gluten as well as artificial dyes can cause behavioral problems in children. So my question is has anyone taken gluten and/or dyes out of their child's diet and seen a difference? Im going to talk to his dr at his well visit next month before i make any final decisions. Also..if he goes gluten and dye free..is that something the school and daycare have to follow eventhough there is no known allergy?

Sorry my post is a little all over the place. I have a lot on my mind right now. Thanks ladies.
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dawncs
by Dawn on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:53 AM

I have been gluten free for years, but I am officially diagnosed as gluten intolerant. It is easier to find gluten free substitutes than it was years ago because it could only be found in the natural foods stores. It can be located in Walmart, Target and grocery stores. However, my best selection has always been at the local natural foods store.

ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:58 AM
Curious, what were your symptoms that made you suspect an intolerance?

Quoting dawncs:

I have been gluten free for years, but I am officially diagnosed as gluten intolerant. It is easier to find gluten free substitutes than it was years ago because it could only be found in the natural foods stores. It can be located in Walmart, Target and grocery stores. However, my best selection has always been at the local natural foods store.

dawncs
by Dawn on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Constipation major league. If I come into contact now, I have diarreah within a hour. I do not miss gluten at all.

Quoting ZakkarysMom: Curious, what were your symptoms that made you suspect an intolerance?
Quoting dawncs:

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:30 AM
I have two with gluten intolerance. We've removed it from their diets completely which has made a huge difference in their health but not their behavior.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:52 AM

No experience but good luck!

trio8707
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 12:30 PM

2 of my children have Celiac disease, so we eat mostly gluten free in our house (They eat completely gluten free).  I have seen no evidence (from my own experience) that it helps with behavior.  Just from know how my kids were before and after going gluten free, there behaviors didn't change at all so I don't believe that that will help.  

But some feel strongly that gluten free does help behavioral symptoms, to each their own.

letstalk747
by Joy on Apr. 25, 2014 at 4:18 PM

thanks Dawn

Quoting dawncs:

letstalk747
by Joy on Apr. 25, 2014 at 4:18 PM

good to know

Quoting arkansasmama08: I have two with gluten intolerance. We've removed it from their diets completely which has made a huge difference in their health but not their behavior.

ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 6:19 PM
I just dont know what to do. I dont want to drug my child. :(

Quoting trio8707:

2 of my children have Celiac disease, so we eat mostly gluten free in our house (They eat completely gluten free).  I have seen no evidence (from my own experience) that it helps with behavior.  Just from know how my kids were before and after going gluten free, there behaviors didn't change at all so I don't believe that that will help.  

But some feel strongly that gluten free does help behavioral symptoms, to each their own.

ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 6:20 PM
Yuck. :(

Quoting dawncs:

Constipation major league. If I come into contact now, I have diarreah within a hour. I do not miss gluten at all.

Quoting ZakkarysMom: Curious, what were your symptoms that made you suspect an intolerance?
Quoting dawncs:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)