Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Brady's IEP/Progress Report (not happy)

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 7:41 PM
  • 17 Replies

I just received Brady's IEP and Progress Report for this year.  I'm not too happy.  His annual IEP is coming up within a month, and the new IEP will be his IEP for Kindergarten next year.  The progress report is his annual progress report...even though there's another 6 weeks of school left.  Brady will be 6 years old in October.

Communication - 13 months old

Cognitive - 13 months old

Social/Emotional/Personal - 18 months old

Fine Motor - 14 months old

Gross Motor - 30 months old

I don't disagree with the levels they assessed him at.  They are basically the same levels they assessed him at last year, which I expected.  He hasn't made *enough* progress this year for many of those levels to go up in developmental age.  They are averages/estimates, which is fine.  

What I am unhappy with is his progress report.  There are 14 goals on his IEP.  This progress report has several levels to describe Brady's progress: 

Mastered skill

Emerging skill

Sufficient progress

Insufficient progress

Brady mastered 3 goals, and the other 11 goals were insufficient progress.  She made several comments on the IP goals stating that Brady had indeed made progress on them, but not enough progress to master the goal.  Okay...that's fine.  Then why not give him a sufficient progress for the goal?  Why give him an INSUFFICIENT progress?  

This just pisses me off.  He's had the same goals for the past 2 years and he's only mastered 3 of them.  Really?  He's had the same teacher for 3 years now.  She made several comments in his IEP about how Brady is VERY easily distracted and works best with a one on one teacher to help guide him throughout the day.  Of course he's distracted...what 15-18 month old child isn't distracted easily?  He's in a class with kids who are around his physical age but they are higher functioning then he is.  

There are a lot of goals on his IEP that he was given IP on that he CAN do those things...very close to mastering those goals in ABA and his other therapies and even at home.  

Do you ever find the goals on your child's IEP at school to be similiar to their goals in therapy or at home, but the progress reports/results aren't the same?  I know Brady behaves and works differently with different people but these results are just SO off in my opinion and it pisses me off!  Not to mention, the teacher hasn't done some of the things I asked her to do...one of them being putting him on the potty.  UGH!

I'm SOOOO glad this is his last year in public school.  I hate the way they grade the kids and the ways they test them.  It's just not that accurate in my opinion.  His new private school next year will use his IEP for informational purposes and just to see what his previous teachers had to say, but they are using his treatment plan from ABA and they are creating their own IEP based on what WE want to see...goals and objectives that aren't necessarily educational...they are more daily living skills and things we actually care about.  We could give a crap if Brady knows his shapes and colors.  NOT important to us.

Okay...sorry this post got long!

by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 7:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mipsy
by Chelle on Apr. 26, 2014 at 8:56 PM
That is stupid they would mark it insufficient if he is making some progress. Why is that? Have you been able to ask yet?
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 9:00 PM
2 moms liked this

I responded in the other group, but feel your frustration so wanted to send you hugs here too.  :)  Believe me, I get it.  I want to give the school district an IP for the way they do things around here!!

jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 26, 2014 at 9:06 PM

This happened with Alex's speech goals on the progress report just before his IEP.  I talked with his private speech therapist and she said he's making excellent progress.  Apparently, the school SLP (who is new this year and didn't write the goals in question) says that although he was close to mastering them, he didn't and because he wasn't going to master them in the allotted time, they had to mark it as insufficient progress.  What really irked me was that each quarter leading up to that progress report, he had been making sufficient progeess to meet goal.  That was the first and only time he has ever gotten insufficient progress.  

He just got his most recently progress report (they get them quarterly when the report cards come out) and he was making sufficient progress toward the speech goals.

i really have to take some of the comments with a grain of salt sometimes.  I know they have to list strengths and weaknesses, but sometimes I disagree with some of what they've listed because I have observed different at home and sometimes I feel like some of the things are ridiculous!  

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 9:44 PM
Ours seem to be the opposite sometimes. They mark things done that I haven't seen them be able to do yet. They also say my kids are at age level in most areas and I know that's a bunch of bs. I tend to take what they say worth a grain of salt and go by the therapists' reports for the real information. They're rarely line up.
letstalk747
by Joy on Apr. 26, 2014 at 11:20 PM

yes i have   different  reports especially the school ones say he can do something and i know my kid cant do it , i think the reports we have gotten from school in the past make it look like he knows and can do more than i know he cant

HaileysMom07180
by Kelly on Apr. 26, 2014 at 11:37 PM

i know the frustration.  we had some frustrations with dd's progress report that we got a couple weeks ago too, only our frustration wasn't really with how things were marked, our frustration came from her goals really.  she did master some, we are very proud of her for making such good progress on some of her goals, unfortunately, she also obtained new goals, new symptoms.  She was just diagnosed a year ago with PDD-NOS, she was 6 when she was diagnosed.  her communication is that of a 6 year old, her cognitive is that of a 4 year old, social is that of a 4 year old, fine motor is that of a 4 year old and gross motor is spot on.  this year she managed to get marked on progress in turning in what she has been told to, minus a couple weeks out of the school year where it was out of her normal routine, but about 6 months ago, she started peeing her pants.  her doctor did several tests and found that there is no actual physical purpose for it, she can feel it, she just stopped having the ability to be able to relate the feeling of needing to pee to actually going to the bathroom.  this will be added to her IEP for next year, remember to go to the bathroom on her own instead of going in her pants.  They are completely removing the goal of her playing with other children during recess.  One thing she had to do was ask at least one child if she could play with them during recess.  Her social went from a 2 year old mentality to a 4 year old.  I was floored, last year she didn't play with one single kid at recess (in 1st grade), she wasn't invited to any birthday parties, so on so forth, this year not only has she played with other kids at recess, but she was also invited to 3 birthday parties.  I know that might seem petty to some, but her being invited to a birthday party is huge!  

Anyway, take the marks with a grain of salt.  if the teacher is saying he's improving, then praise him for the progress he has made and keep up the hard work on the rest.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 27, 2014 at 6:40 AM

I know!  Nope...I haven't said anything.  I will wait until the IEP meeting on May 8 and then I will ask ALL of my questions:)

Quoting Mipsy: That is stupid they would mark it insufficient if he is making some progress. Why is that? Have you been able to ask yet?

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 27, 2014 at 6:41 AM

I totally agree...how can a child make Sufficient Progress throughout the year and then on the final progress report, they child has made insufficient progress?  That's ridiculous!

Quoting jjamom:

This happened with Alex's speech goals on the progress report just before his IEP.  I talked with his private speech therapist and she said he's making excellent progress.  Apparently, the school SLP (who is new this year and didn't write the goals in question) says that although he was close to mastering them, he didn't and because he wasn't going to master them in the allotted time, they had to mark it as insufficient progress.  What really irked me was that each quarter leading up to that progress report, he had been making sufficient progeess to meet goal.  That was the first and only time he has ever gotten insufficient progress.  

He just got his most recently progress report (they get them quarterly when the report cards come out) and he was making sufficient progress toward the speech goals.

i really have to take some of the comments with a grain of salt sometimes.  I know they have to list strengths and weaknesses, but sometimes I disagree with some of what they've listed because I have observed different at home and sometimes I feel like some of the things are ridiculous!  

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 27, 2014 at 6:42 AM

Wow.  Brady's reports are always the opposite....they state he can't do something when I know he can!  Hugs!

Quoting letstalk747:

yes i have   different  reports especially the school ones say he can do something and i know my kid cant do it , i think the reports we have gotten from school in the past make it look like he knows and can do more than i know he cant

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 27, 2014 at 6:42 AM

Quoting arkansasmama08: Ours seem to be the opposite sometimes. They mark things done that I haven't seen them be able to do yet. They also say my kids are at age level in most areas and I know that's a bunch of bs. I tend to take what they say worth a grain of salt and go by the therapists' reports for the real information. They're rarely line up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN