Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Learning Disabilities

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 11:25 PM
Joy
  • 12 Replies

has your child been DX'ED WITH ONE ?

by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 11:47 PM
We know R has one. It he was never dx'd. His mother refused to have him tested and when I was able to get involved he refused to be tested. He has an IEP but no dx to go with it.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:00 AM

Nope.

Cindy18
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Yes, my youngest has a Learning Disability in Reading and Writing, aka Dyslexia.

Mipsy
by Chelle on Apr. 27, 2014 at 10:24 AM
He's being tested for them next month
Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Yep, all 4. 

jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 27, 2014 at 3:22 PM
My son is not dx'd with a learning disability per se. But, his ID makes learning more difficult, and later than his typical peers. He is not on grade level on anything academic, but is making great strides.
letstalk747
by Joy on Apr. 27, 2014 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

same with my son

Quoting jjamom: My son is not dx'd with a learning disability per se. But, his ID makes learning more difficult, and later than his typical peers. He is not on grade level on anything academic, but is making great strides.

proudmomalexis
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:49 PM
yes dd has attention issues.
michelles89
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 11:15 PM
My dh has auditory processing disorder and they think my 4 yr old ds has it( not dhs son)
DyslexiaParent
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 7:43 AM

Yes, multiple LD's, in fact.  Diagnoses can really HELP in figuring out how to teach a child.  A lot of people want to avoid a "label," but to me it's no different than if your child has a cough and you go to the doctor to find out if your child has allergies, bronchitis, or some other condition.  Without a diagnosis, people don't REALLY know what they're dealing with!  And I've found the best/only way to truly OVERCOME learning disabilities is to address each of the underlying cognitive deficits that is a problem for the child--whether it is a deficit with working memory, processing speed, executive functioning, etc., in addition to the more academically focused disabilties like dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, etc.

My son older was diagnosed with several LD issues when he was young.  One of the public school admins told us he'd "probably never read well" and she told us "you just need to lower your expectations." SO, we pulled out and started homeschooling.. My son reads fabulously, has excelled in his learning once I put programs into place to address all of his needs, and he is now about to graduate from a large university, Magna Cum Laude!!

SandyKC
M.S. Instructional Design, Veteran Homeschooling Mom of "Light of My Life" Boys,
Author

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)