Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

I NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:06 AM
  • 38 Replies
I am a single mother of 2 special needs boys I am having problems with my oldest whom is 11 years old. His name is Marcus and he has PDD, ODD, Sensory Processing Disorder, Developmental Delays, mentally functions at a 4-5 year olds level.
My problem is when Marcus dose not get his way or someone dose something to him or it could be as simple as me looking at him differently he goes into these rages where he Hits, kicks, bites, spits on people, throws anything he can get his hands on at people, punches walls/doors/windows, slams doors. He is to strong for me to hold down anymore. So tonight I had to call the cops twice in an hour and a half to come help with Marcus rage. If the cops had to be called a 3rd time the cops would take him somewhere which is what he needs.
I've taken all electronic away, I've grounded him from outside, taken his favorite toys away including his tv. Nothing is working. He's on a lot of meds that's suppose to help his behaviors but their not. I truly believe that Marcus is Bipolar but no one has diagnosed him with it. His meds are:
Depakote
Clonidine
Concerta
Multi Vitamin
Zyrtec
Singulair
So please dose anyone have any suggestions on how I can get these behaviors to stop so I don't loose my son?
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:13 AM
I'm sorry this is going on. I really wish I had any ideas that will help. Does he see a therapist? Could him being in hospital for a short time to let them figure out if he needs a change in meds?
letstalk747
by Joy on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:48 AM

has he tried Risperdal-a mood stabilizer

Gloria1025
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 5:22 AM

Hugs!  I am sure this is heart breaking for you.  I have no experience yet since my son is much younger but I know others on here had to work hard with their child's therapists and doctors at this age - it seems often with growth spurts and hormones, medications and dosages need to be adjusted.  What has the doctor said?

Chirinos
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 7:37 AM
Marcus sees a counselor once a week. Wee are trying to get MST started in which a counselor comes into the home 3 days a week but we haven't herd anything on that. The only way Marcus can be hospitalzed is if he's in the middle of a rage and the closest hospital that would take him that has a psych ward is 2 hours away so by the time we get there he'd be calmed down. Marcus pediatrician filled out paperwork and faxed it in somewhere not sure where to try and get Marcus approved for inpatient hospitalization but we haven't herd anything on that either.

Quoting Linagma03: I'm sorry this is going on. I really wish I had any ideas that will help. Does he see a therapist? Could him being in hospital for a short time to let them figure out if he needs a change in meds?
Chirinos
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 7:39 AM
Yes he's been on Risperdal and it didn't work. He takes Ativan right now as need. It dose help calm him down some.

Quoting letstalk747:

has he tried Risperdal-a mood stabilizer

Chirinos
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 7:43 AM
His pediatrician filled out paperwork and faxed it in somewhere not sure where to try and get Marcus approved for inpatient hospitalization but we haven't herd anything on it yet. His Dr has seen Marcus rages which is good so he knows what I'm going through.
Thank you for the hug I really need that right now.

Quoting Gloria1025:

Hugs!  I am sure this is heart breaking for you.  I have no experience yet since my son is much younger but I know others on here had to work hard with their child's therapists and doctors at this age - it seems often with growth spurts and hormones, medications and dosages need to be adjusted.  What has the doctor said?

Gloria1025
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this

This must be terribly hard for you and I know hospitalization is not a decision that you want to make but it could give the doctors a chance to stop meds that aren't helping any longer or worse are causing side effects and get him on the right meds (if needed) and right doses.  I hate that meds are such a trial and error with our kids but if he is in a hospital setting, they can see first hand what is happening and adjust quickly.  I hope he can get the help he needs quickly.  I am sure he doesn't want to feel and act this way :(  Your a great Mom doing so much for him.  More hugs for you!  

Chirinos
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 7:56 AM
Thank you so much for your support and hugs I really need them right now.

Quoting Gloria1025:

This must be terribly hard for you and I know hospitalization is not a decision that you want to make but it could give the doctors a chance to stop meds that aren't helping any longer or worse are causing side effects and get him on the right meds (if needed) and right doses.  I hate that meds are such a trial and error with our kids but if he is in a hospital setting, they can see first hand what is happening and adjust quickly.  I hope he can get the help he needs quickly.  I am sure he doesn't want to feel and act this way :(  Your a great Mom doing so much for him.  More hugs for you!  

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 27, 2014 at 7:56 AM

Hugs mama...I know this must be hard for you!

Chirinos
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 7:58 AM
Thank you for the hug

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Hugs mama...I know this must be hard for you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)