Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Stupid School Mascots

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 5:54 AM
  • 7 Replies

So, my son is extremely picky about what he wears.  Not only does the outfit have to fit and feel right it can only have certain things on the shirt and certain colors for the pants.  

So, for school mascots, well he had a knights, then a viking, then a tiger because he switched school programs so much.  The school requires you to change clothes for gym.  We havent gotten him to change his pants but we got him to change his shirt.  Ok - the shirt has to have the mascot on it.  

Its a Bulldog.  He is terrified of dogs.  Im like Oh great!  The school said he can just wear a white shirt but then he will stand out which is fine but Id like him t try and wear a Bulldog shirt.

Ugh! Stupid school mascots!  I knew the bulldog would be a problem!

He doesnt even want to walk into the school for a tour because there is a painting of a bulldog on the wall!

by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 5:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
drowningmama
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 5:55 AM

This is mainly a vent post...

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 27, 2014 at 7:57 AM

Why does he have to wear a shirt with a bulldog on it for gym class?  

Gloria1025
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Hugs Mom!  I don't know why these sort of things cause problems for our kiddos but they just do sometimes.  

drowningmama
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Thats their gym uniform  Black shorts/sweatpants and a white mascot (bulldog) shirt

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Why does he have to wear a shirt with a bulldog on it for gym class?  

Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 2:44 PM

I'm sorry.  That is rough (no pun intended -ruff).  I completely understand though!  My son has ASD and SPD, and you never know what it is going to be, but whatever it is just will not happen!  I hope you can get him comfortable and in the school.  Good luck! 

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 3:16 PM
I am sorry that he is going thru this. Can you take the time to work him up to going in? Maybe drive into the parking lot and just stopping for a few minutes in front of the area that has a picture? Usually it is at the front entrance. Leave, then do it again later that day or everyday for a few days, then try just standing next to the car? Slowly working him closer to the entrance using the doors that are farthest from the picture?

I know I probably sound stupid for saying that because it makes it sound like this can be solved so easy when I know it is super hard on him and you.

Here is something that sounds just as dumb but I'm going to toss it out there. Is it possable for him to go to another school?

Big Hugs!
letstalk747
by Joy on Apr. 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM

i hope it works out

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)