Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

UPDATE: So Close, Yet So Far!!

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:44 PM
  • 19 Replies

Most of you know my ABA battle in trying to bring this therapy to my 2 kids that have autism.  The provider 1.5 hours away has agreed to an in-home 3 hours a day amazing program that the kids NEED!!!  And their current Sped teach wants to do it for them!!   But she got the financial offer today, and it is not enough for her to be able to do it and make driving here (she lives 1 hour away) profitable for her.  She is still going to try to negotiate with them, and see if their is anything else they can do.  I'd also be trained to be her back up, so I told them to put all the money into her, not pay me on her days off.  I'm frustrated because my kids need this so much, I can't get it locally any other way, and they will age out of insurance paying for it soon.  I even have stuff like respite money I do not use that I would love to figure out how to use some of that to pay for her services but can't seem to 'fit the rules of respite.'  And if I was driving to her, we could get out of county trip reimbursement through medicaid for me to take the kids to her.  But I can't use this same fund to bring her to the kids.  It's just so close, yet I don't think I'm going to win the battle, which makes me so sad to not be able to give the kids the one chance they probably have to be more functional then they otherwise will be.  I've given them every opportunity I can since day one, and it is breaking my heart to not be able to make this happen.  I just don't know how to make up the funding difference to make it affordable to the teacher on top of the therapy salary.  :(   

UPDATE***********

So, I was granted an additional 21k in Supported Community Living hours for the kids today that I may be able to use in my ABA venture for teacher to pick up overtime to make this worth her while as the therapy pay alone was short.  At the same time it may not really cause her to work a whole lot extra in hours if I do her computer entry portion.  I am given the pool of money and can set her rate per hour out of the pool to possibly meet the gap of the other pay while she teaches them basic life skills on top of the ABA.  We're going to talk in detail on Tuesday and make a date to go venture to the out of town ABA center to see if we can nail things down and maybe make this happen.  I don't have this yet, and it could fall through any second, but there's hope again!

by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope you can work it out somehow. Sorry it's so difficult to make happen right now. *HUGS*

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Can you talk to other places (schools, therapy centers) to see if they would cover part of the cost or hire her out to do therapy with sine if the kids they know would need it? Maybe even local parents you know who ate in need would be willing to split the difference.
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Since the program is a 3 hour per child daily therapy, they only assign 2 kids to one person.  My two kids would be her whole case load as the other 2 hours of her day are data, planning, etc involved with the ABA method.  So we can't add more kids/families.  My two are enough.  And the therapy center 1.5 hours away is who is willing to pay her to do it and bill our insurance to collect payment for it, but they only offer so much in pay, and it does not work for her with the travel.  She's going to ask about mileage reimbursement, but I doubt it.  The school won't help.  

Quoting arkansasmama08: Can you talk to other places (schools, therapy centers) to see if they would cover part of the cost or hire her out to do therapy with sine if the kids they know would need it? Maybe even local parents you know who ate in need would be willing to split the difference.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 1, 2014 at 6:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm so sorry this is such a struggle.  Hugs!

jjamom
by Michele on May. 1, 2014 at 6:38 AM
1 mom liked this
How about if you and the therapy center advertise for an ABA therapist. I know you had high hopes for this teacher, but maybe someone else is available that can do the training and travel to your home for the compensation they are offering. Didn't you say you has some nearby colleges and universities? Maybe there is someone in special education about to graduate or someone one of the colleges know of who already has.
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2014 at 7:48 AM

We tried.  And the online university that does ABA training has only had one grad in five years, and they are out of NJ.  The therapy place doesn't really want a teacher, but only considered this one because of her masters, and 16 years experience with kids with autism.  It's pretty much her or no go.

Quoting jjamom: How about if you and the therapy center advertise for an ABA therapist. I know you had high hopes for this teacher, but maybe someone else is available that can do the training and travel to your home for the compensation they are offering. Didn't you say you has some nearby colleges and universities? Maybe there is someone in special education about to graduate or someone one of the colleges know of who already has.

jjamom
by Michele on May. 1, 2014 at 9:17 AM
Wow, that's crazy! I think you should gather a bunch of SN parents and storm the next SECAC meeting. It seems illegal that they can know kids need this and yet refuse to provide it.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

We tried.  And the online university that does ABA training has only had one grad in five years, and they are out of NJ.  The therapy place doesn't really want a teacher, but only considered this one because of her masters, and 16 years experience with kids with autism.  It's pretty much her or no go.

Quoting jjamom: How about if you and the therapy center advertise for an ABA therapist. I know you had high hopes for this teacher, but maybe someone else is available that can do the training and travel to your home for the compensation they are offering. Didn't you say you has some nearby colleges and universities? Maybe there is someone in special education about to graduate or someone one of the colleges know of who already has.

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2014 at 9:40 AM
Gotcha. Wow, 3 hours?! 5 days a week? That's pretty intense.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Since the program is a 3 hour per child daily therapy, they only assign 2 kids to one person.  My two kids would be her whole case load as the other 2 hours of her day are data, planning, etc involved with the ABA method.  So we can't add more kids/families.  My two are enough.  And the therapy center 1.5 hours away is who is willing to pay her to do it and bill our insurance to collect payment for it, but they only offer so much in pay, and it does not work for her with the travel.  She's going to ask about mileage reimbursement, but I doubt it.  The school won't help.  

Quoting arkansasmama08: Can you talk to other places (schools, therapy centers) to see if they would cover part of the cost or hire her out to do therapy with sine if the kids they know would need it? Maybe even local parents you know who ate in need would be willing to split the difference.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2014 at 10:06 AM

My kids are really behind, lol!

Quoting arkansasmama08: Gotcha. Wow, 3 hours?! 5 days a week? That's pretty intense.
Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2014 at 10:07 AM

SECAC??  Never heard of that.

Quoting jjamom: Wow, that's crazy! I think you should gather a bunch of SN parents and storm the next SECAC meeting. It seems illegal that they can know kids need this and yet refuse to provide it.
Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN