• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Track Meet!

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 3:02 PM
  • 15 Replies

The new school district that Lina is in is holding their 25th Annual Special Education Track meet this month. I am excited about this but worried too because I don't know how she will handle all the people and what is expected of her in the events she will be in. She is going to do some kind of ball toss event and running event. There are going to be Buddies for the kids from the GenED classes to help out and cheer them on. 

Does anyone else's school district do this? 

by on May. 4, 2014 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
letstalk747
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 3:12 PM

no , i wish they did

Linagma03
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 3:22 PM

This is the only district I've heard of but then that is because we are in this district. I am now wondering if other districts in the State do this.

Quoting letstalk747:

no , i wish they did

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 3:49 PM
The school district where I taught had something like this every year. I hope she has a great time!
mandee1503
by Amanda on May. 4, 2014 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this
We just have yearly special Olympics.
jjamom
by Michele on May. 4, 2014 at 4:14 PM
My sons school hosts one every year. They call it the Ridgeway Invitational Run, Jump and Throw, since they invite 4-5 other schools to come out to participate. It is co-sponsored by the Maryland Special Olympics. Each child with SN is paired with a "typically developing" buddy. Each team does three events. All of the kids get a medal and a goody bag at the end and then they eat a picnic lunch outside (weather permitting) or inside in their classroom. Ours is scheduled for this coming Friday. My son has a ball each year. I also go each year, as do a lot of parents, but not all. It's really a fun day! I hope Lina has a great time!
Linagma03
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 4:14 PM

I think she will but this large of an event will be totally alien to her. 

Quoting Bluecalm: The school district where I taught had something like this every year. I hope she has a great time!

Linagma03
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 4:18 PM

This is district wide and is going to be held at a Stadium. I hope that she has a good time too. This is going to be totally alien to her. 

Quoting jjamom: My sons school hosts one every year. They call it the Ridgeway Invitational Run, Jump and Throw, since they invite 4-5 other schools to come out to participate. It is co-sponsored by the Maryland Special Olympics. Each child with SN is paired with a "typically developing" buddy. Each team does three events. All of the kids get a medal and a goody bag at the end and then they eat a picnic lunch outside (weather permitting) or inside in their classroom. Ours is scheduled for this coming Friday. My son has a ball each year. I also go each year, as do a lot of parents, but not all. It's really a fun day! I hope Lina has a great time!

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 4:34 PM
Maybe show her pictures of similarly large events so she won't be too surprised. My LO isn't crazy about crowds either but does better knowing they'll be one ahead of time.

Quoting Linagma03:

This is district wide and is going to be held at a Stadium. I hope that she has a good time too. This is going to be totally alien to her. 

Quoting jjamom: My sons school hosts one every year. They call it the Ridgeway Invitational Run, Jump and Throw, since they invite 4-5 other schools to come out to participate. It is co-sponsored by the Maryland Special Olympics. Each child with SN is paired with a "typically developing" buddy. Each team does three events. All of the kids get a medal and a goody bag at the end and then they eat a picnic lunch outside (weather permitting) or inside in their classroom. Ours is scheduled for this coming Friday. My son has a ball each year. I also go each year, as do a lot of parents, but not all. It's really a fun day! I hope Lina has a great time!

jjamom
by Michele on May. 4, 2014 at 4:35 PM
Wow, we have a big district, so ours would be huge. I'm not sure if any other schools in our district does one. If so, not to my knowledge. I think over the past two when Alex has been there, it has been different schools participating, so maybe they rotate through which schools they invite. If so, I'm happy his school hosts it because we love it!

Does she usually do well on field trips and field day? If so I bet she's gonna love it!

Quoting Linagma03:

Linagma03
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I'll do that and I'll remind her of what it was like when we went to the fair a few weeks ago. Thanks!

Quoting Bluecalm: Maybe show her pictures of similarly large events so she won't be too surprised. My LO isn't crazy about crowds either but does better knowing they'll be one ahead of time.
Quoting Linagma03:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)