Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

4 year old being evaluated for emotional disturbance.

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 8:52 PM
  • 10 Replies

My 4 year old DS just went to a preschool evaluation. Based on what I said and what they started to see from him (there were 3 kids and 4 teachers in the room, so nothing had a chance to escalate, but they could tell that if the teachers hadn't intervened, he would have gotten close to a meltdown) they want to continue the evaluation, so they are coming to my house a week from tomorrow and then we have a meeting to go over the evaluation team report the week after that. I am just wondering if anybody has any experience with this with preschool kids and could give me an idea of what to expect if they decide he has an emotional disturbance and put him in school. He has no medical diagnosis, he doctor suspected mild hyperactivity when I brought up his behavior a year ago, but my 7 year old DD has ADHD, and she is constantly on, my little guy goes back and forth, he is either very sweet and loving or extremely iritable and angry and violent. He doesn't seem to have any middle ground. I have wondered about high functioning autism, but the counselor that I took him too for a few months asked if there was any family history of bipolar, and alot of those symptoms fit too. I really hope he gets into school, because I don't know how to handle his mood swings and behaviors and he is big enough now that I can hardly hold on to him when he is having a meltdown. Sorry, that was longer than I meant it to be, just looking for some insight into what is going to happen next. Thanks :)

by on May. 4, 2014 at 8:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:19 PM

I hope things work out well. *HUGS*

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:27 PM
That sounds somewhat similar to my son tbh.

He has been dx'd with 'severe adhd'.

So far, we've been able to handle him with adhd meds & behavioral interventions, but bipolar is always in the back of my mind.

He also mets the criteria for pdd nos (asd) but I don't feel like that really fits the bill.

Either way, his ABA classroom setting is what is best for him & me & his docs are just keeping an eye on him
katie_c25
by on May. 5, 2014 at 7:29 AM

As far as I know, my little guy would be in a regular preschool classroom at the public elementary school. I have known for a while that something is a little off with him, but he has so many quirks and behavior problems, it's hard to tell what. His ped doesn't seem to be too concerned, but he hasn't seen him get that bad at the office, and there aren't any developmental peds that I can find in the area, so right now all I can do is keep asking his ped and see what the doctor says. I dont think it's ADHD because he gets hyper spurts, but they last maybe an hour or two, and then he's back to normal, can sit still for an hour when he's doing something and the amount of focus he has makes me jealous lol. He's a smart little guy too, knows more than his sister did when she was halfway through kindergarten, just because he will sit still and pay attention and let me work with him, where she never would. I'm just hoping that if the school gives him some sort of educational dx, we can get him some help that way until I can find a dr that will take my concerns more seriously.

letstalk747
by Joy on May. 5, 2014 at 7:44 PM

its always good to be evaluated

jjamom
by Michele on May. 5, 2014 at 10:48 PM
I don't have much experience in this area, but I hope you get some answers soon.
Linagma03
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2014 at 1:18 AM
Good luck! I hope you get some good answers when the evaluation is done.
blueforewolf
by on May. 6, 2014 at 1:38 AM
1 mom liked this

you will have a meeting (Individual Education Plan, IEP) and all the results from the evaluations will be discussed, you will be able to ask questions and give your input as well (Which is very important) - they will discuss what they think his eligibility is and determine what services he needs to be able to access and participate in the general ed curriculum - public schools for preschoolers usually have different options regarding placement for children with special needs - this could be a general ed classroom with typical peers with other services (Such as speech and language, behaviorists, physical therapy, etc) -, a special day class with only special needs children also including the services if needed on a general education campus with opportunities to be with "typical" children during recess, music, art, lunch etc.  or part time in special ed class and part with special needs class, or a special ed class in a special ed school - your particular district may have even more (or less) choices - all this will be discussed with you and you also will have input - a document called an IEP will made up that includes all this information, as well as goals for him for a year -  you can disagree with the whole IEP, just parts of it, or agree with all of it - you can also hold another IEP a little bit down the line if you feel your child's needs aren't being met - I hope this helps a little - good luck to you and your little one!  if you want to know anything else please let me know - I'm an early childhood special ed teacher and work with 3-5 year olds in an inclusive preschool

katie_c25
by on May. 6, 2014 at 6:46 AM

Thank you all so much for the support and thank you blueforewolf for the info!! I'm not really a go with the flow person, I tend to drive myself a little crazy when I don't know what's happening or what to expect, so having an idea of what is going to happen helps alot. They gave me an IDEA handbook, but I can get through about a page of it before I get distracted and forget what I already read, so having it put in normal person english helps so much.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Quoting katie_c25:

As far as I know, my little guy would be in a regular preschool classroom at the public elementary school. I have known for a while that something is a little off with him, but he has so many quirks and behavior problems, it's hard to tell what. His ped doesn't seem to be too concerned, but he hasn't seen him get that bad at the office, and there aren't any developmental peds that I can find in the area, so right now all I can do is keep asking his ped and see what the doctor says. I dont think it's ADHD because he gets hyper spurts, but they last maybe an hour or two, and then he's back to normal, can sit still for an hour when he's doing something and the amount of focus he has makes me jealous lol. He's a smart little guy too, knows more than his sister did when she was halfway through kindergarten, just because he will sit still and pay attention and let me work with him, where she never would. I'm just hoping that if the school gives him some sort of educational dx, we can get him some help that way until I can find a dr that will take my concerns more seriously.

That sounds good right now.

Behavioral interventions don't have to be in a special needs classroom, like my son has. And its always preferable and recommended to start w/ BM (behavior management) first.

The school can also do an FBA (functional behaviral analysis) if need be. 

gummibr
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 10:00 PM

I can relate to you because my five year old is bipolar.  We noticed atypical development around 18-24 months and he was diagnosed just before his fifth birthday.  He son is also violent but can be super sweet.  He also gets depressed and anxious.  Some weekends he can not leave the house.  He is in school and has done well so far.  He is also on meds and sees a psychiatrist regularly.  From our experience, my son can't have an iep based solely on the bipolar diagnosis unless his symtpoms directly affect his learning.  Hope this helps

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN