Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Immune deficiency disorders?

Posted by on May. 18, 2014 at 8:18 AM
  • 37 Replies
My 8 month old DD has had many many infections and been off and on antibiotics way to much in the last 5 months. I took her to an immunologist and she ordered bloodwork to check her immunoglobulin and lymphocyte levels. I got the results for the lymphocyte test and her T cell levels are low. I googled it and got a little info but all it did was make me worry more. I got the results online Saturday and can't talk to the doctor til Monday. So I am more than a little stressed about it!!
Does anyone else have a LO with immune def. disorder? Or have knowledge about low T cells?
by on May. 18, 2014 at 8:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2014 at 9:10 AM

My daughter is considered immune compromised.  She gets illness much quicker than my other kids and keeps it way longer.  She has Down syndrome, so that is just part of that population of children.

amber0427
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 9:47 AM
My DD has Larygomalcia, GERD, severe food allergies and reactive airway disease (asthma) and a trach. These immune system issues have only come to light recently. At first I thought it was bc of the trach that she was getting all the infections but she's been getting ear, UTI, respiratory, and more not connected to trach.
Her ENT discussed genetic testing for Down syndrome but said my DD doesn't appear to have the apparent symptoms. Now I don't know what to think :(

Is the immune defiency something your LO will ever grow out of? Good luck to you and your baby.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

My daughter is considered immune compromised.  She gets illness much quicker than my other kids and keeps it way longer.  She has Down syndrome, so that is just part of that population of children.

Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2014 at 10:22 AM

I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but I'm pretty confident that by now if she had downs you would know based on facial features.  She may have other genetic or chromosome abnormalities though that testing would show.  My daughter will be six in September.  I think her immune will strengthen some as any child, but she will always be more seceptable to illness according to immunology.  She also was born very early so has chronic lung disease and respitory issues.  That makes any person take illness harder.  We just do our best with hand washing and avoiding a known illness when possible, then getting into doctors early before things escalate.  I hope you get some answers and help for your little one.  It is hard when we mamas don't know what is going on and just want our kids well!  Good luck.

Quoting amber0427: My DD has Larygomalcia, GERD, severe food allergies and reactive airway disease (asthma) and a trach. These immune system issues have only come to light recently. At first I thought it was bc of the trach that she was getting all the infections but she's been getting ear, UTI, respiratory, and more not connected to trach. Her ENT discussed genetic testing for Down syndrome but said my DD doesn't appear to have the apparent symptoms. Now I don't know what to think :( Is the immune defiency something your LO will ever grow out of? Good luck to you and your baby.
Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Love2foster2009
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 10:40 AM
My daughter has an immune deficiency. After constant sickness for three years her pediatrician ordered blood work and some of it was off so we went to an immunologist who finally pinpointed the deficiency. Her immunoglobulins were ok but her T cells were abnormal. Her deficiency actually had nothing to do with the T cells. But had they not been off we wouldn't have continued the blood work.
amber0427
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 12:14 PM
She's 8 months. Thanks for the advice! We are very clean around her especially bc the trach, unfortunately we have 2 kids in elementary school so they are always bringing stuff home!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but I'm pretty confident that by now if she had downs you would know based on facial features.  She may have other genetic or chromosome abnormalities though that testing would show.  My daughter will be six in September.  I think her immune will strengthen some as any child, but she will always be more seceptable to illness according to immunology.  She also was born very early so has chronic lung disease and respitory issues.  That makes any person take illness harder.  We just do our best with hand washing and avoiding a known illness when possible, then getting into doctors early before things escalate.  I hope you get some answers and help for your little one.  It is hard when we mamas don't know what is going on and just want our kids well!  Good luck.

Quoting amber0427: My DD has Larygomalcia, GERD, severe food allergies and reactive airway disease (asthma) and a trach. These immune system issues have only come to light recently. At first I thought it was bc of the trach that she was getting all the infections but she's been getting ear, UTI, respiratory, and more not connected to trach.
Her ENT discussed genetic testing for Down syndrome but said my DD doesn't appear to have the apparent symptoms. Now I don't know what to think :(

Is the immune defiency something your LO will ever grow out of? Good luck to you and your baby.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

amber0427
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 12:16 PM
That's the same thing going on with my LO. Her immunoglobulins are fine it's the T cells. Does your LO have a specific disorder or is it just classified as an immune deficiency?

Quoting Love2foster2009: My daughter has an immune deficiency. After constant sickness for three years her pediatrician ordered blood work and some of it was off so we went to an immunologist who finally pinpointed the deficiency. Her immunoglobulins were ok but her T cells were abnormal. Her deficiency actually had nothing to do with the T cells. But had they not been off we wouldn't have continued the blood work.
Love2foster2009
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 12:50 PM
She has mannose binding lectin deficiency. Her T cells were almost back to normal ranges on a second test. So I don't know what caused them to be so off the first time. There is no treatment for her deficiency but the doctors think as she gets older she will get sick less. Hope they are right....

Quoting amber0427: That's the same thing going on with my LO. Her immunoglobulins are fine it's the T cells. Does your LO have a specific disorder or is it just classified as an immune deficiency?

Quoting Love2foster2009: My daughter has an immune deficiency. After constant sickness for three years her pediatrician ordered blood work and some of it was off so we went to an immunologist who finally pinpointed the deficiency. Her immunoglobulins were ok but her T cells were abnormal. Her deficiency actually had nothing to do with the T cells. But had they not been off we wouldn't have continued the blood work.
amber0427
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 12:55 PM
Thanks for sharing.. I hope so too! Everything my dd has been diagnosed with I get the same story, it's something she can grow out of so I am in the same boat!
Good luck to you.

Quoting Love2foster2009: She has mannose binding lectin deficiency. Her T cells were almost back to normal ranges on a second test. So I don't know what caused them to be so off the first time. There is no treatment for her deficiency but the doctors think as she gets older she will get sick less. Hope they are right....

Quoting amber0427: That's the same thing going on with my LO. Her immunoglobulins are fine it's the T cells. Does your LO have a specific disorder or is it just classified as an immune deficiency?

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2014 at 2:06 PM
I just looked back at my son's blood work and his white count and lymph was high. The problem was he needed a pneumonia vaccine and that helped break the cycle of constant ear infections. The pulm told me the other day he might order more tests on his immune system. He thinks both my boys have weakened immunity from their chromosomal abnormality and they aren't supposed to be around nonvaxxed kids.
Bluecalm
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2014 at 2:08 PM
BTW I had the same thing about outgrowing problems before they had their genetic testing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)