Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Looking for a direction....

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:03 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hi All---

A little background---I am a single FTW mom who has 2 older kids and one still at home. K is a 10 year old whirlwind :) he is hyper, constantly in motion, constantly has to be doing something loves sports, ( plays baseball in spring and fall, day camp in summer, and basketball in winter) . the thing that i am concerened about is that they say that he has his "moments" at school but nothing like i am seeing at home.

I am just not sure as to what to do now to try to help him focus and settle. He has had a sched. for the school year and i am working on one now for summer days, and I try to keep him on a sched. he gets very upset and outa wack if things change and he does not have prior notice....but I am just not sure as to what else to do....I am hoping that some of you lovey ladies may have some ideas or thoughts.....

I hope that I have explained it enough so that you can understand my issue. .please feel free to ask any questions....

Thank you all 

by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Have they told you exactly what he is doing at school? Have they talked to you about doing an eval on him? Usually the schools will do one and then suggest what the next step or options that you have. You might not notice what they do because you are used to the way he is and also you keep him busy. I don't have any real advice for you other than to bring up what concerns the school has and what he is like at home, everything you've said here to include the routine thing to your pedi or family doctor. He/She can give you ideas as well. 

Some of the ladies here have more experience with this than I do. Good Luck!

Kids3arewe
by New Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Linagma03, thank you for your reply..Last year I was getting notes home that he could not sit still that he was talking out of turn and having issues. So we did the questionair( Sorry I do not know the name of it) I did one and his teacher did one. Once they were reviewed, it was found that my answers were completly different from the teachers, even though he had been sending home notes all the time to the contrary...this year seemed to be going better ( or mabey the teacher just handeled it better) he does spend time with the counsulor at school and she has stated that she does not think that he is having issues at school..it just seems to be at home..... thank you  for your help....

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 2:19 PM

are you thinking ADHD? or some attentional impulsivity issues? Are you thinking he has some difficulty with change? unmet expectations (change of schedule, losing of a game, controlling play/games with peers, difficultly relating to peers?) Difficulty with unplanned unpredictible days?
Im not clear on what the issues are. Would a "preview" of each day help him? A visual (our kids are visual learners) chart where he could check to see whats going on to prepare himself each day.

Kids3arewe
by New Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 2:45 PM

SamMom--I am thinking a combo of possiable ADHD and difficulty with change and unpredictable days..I guess that one of my biggest issues is that I am not sure as to where to start...I am trying to put a visual schedule together so that he knows what is expected. I dont know if i should be keeping a behavior chart, or a log or what I should be doing....

Cindy18
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Welcome to the group!! welcome to cafemom

MamaLauri
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 5:20 PM

The ADHD label  is usually given to kids with a certain pattern of Executive Function Challenges. http://www.4mylearn.org/ExecutiveFunction.html gives the definition of each executive function and expected capabilities for different age groups starting at 4 years old through 13, so that you can see how your son is doing in each area. Once identified, the challenge areas can be strengthened with game exercises and/or compensated for with tools and school accommodations.

letstalk747
by Joy on Jun. 30, 2014 at 9:48 PM

do you use pictures-PECS TO SHOW HIM HIS day , what comes next

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 1, 2014 at 7:17 AM

Welcome to the group!

Kids3arewe
by New Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Thank you all for your welcomes and Ideas...I am working now in putting togther a visual/words sched so that he will better be able to know what is happeing and what  is coming up...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)