Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Fireworks help please!!!

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:42 PM
  • 13 Replies
We were outside the other night when neighbors set off fireworks. My oldest does not like them. She got hysterical and I took her straight inside. It was still daylight and I don't even know why they set them off but that's not the point. Last night when I tried to get her to play outside she cried the entire time and would only sit in the chair with her hands covering her ears. I eventually just let her go back inside, but she was still upset. Tonight we decided to just stay in the house so she wouldn't be upset. She still refused to play. When it got dark the hands went back on the ears and stayed there even after she went to bed. I have tried turning on the TV so she couldn't hear anything outside. I have told her that they cannot hurt her. It is one thing for her to be scared, but for her to refuse to play really has me worried. I don't know how to get her to trust me that she will be fine.
by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvnoah10
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 7:08 AM

Maybe she could try wearing those headphones that block noises. Also a social story might help

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 2, 2014 at 7:26 AM

I agree with the comment above...hugs mama!

letstalk747
by Joy on Jul. 2, 2014 at 8:36 PM

yup i agree too , my son wears headphones like shooters wear

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:30 AM

headphones for mowing the lawn for sure... once 7/4 has passed perhaps she will feel better?

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 9:46 AM
Poor girl 😞. Has she ever seen fireworks? Maybe you could let her watch some online with the sound off so she can see what it is..
Love2foster2009
by Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:45 AM
She has seen fireworks and she covered her ears, but she has never acted this way before. It is to the extreme. She told me when I buy a new house that she didn't want it to have windows so she didn't have to see the fireworks. I just don't know what in the world has caused her to be so much more scared than before.

Quoting arkansasmama08: Poor girl 😞. Has she ever seen fireworks? Maybe you could let her watch some online with the sound off so she can see what it is..
Love2foster2009
by Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:47 AM
She had headphones but I bought her new ones hoping she would be excited about them. She wore them but her hands were still on her ears. I really hope that by Saturday she will be feeling better about the situation.

Quoting SamMom912:

headphones for mowing the lawn for sure... once 7/4 has passed perhaps she will feel better?

jjamom
by Michele on Jul. 3, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Other than the noise blocking headphones, I don't have any ideas.  Is she bothered by thunder?  Maybe it was just more of a matter of being startled by the sudden sound?  Hopefully it'll pass after the festivities, but I bet people will be lighting them off over the entire weekend, so you may want to plan inside events for the weekend, especially evenings.  How about her using an iPod so she hears music instead of the fireworks.  It may Block any slight noise she may still hear.  Good luck!

Cindy18
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 8:13 PM

It will probably just take some time. 

Can you shut the windows and turn on the A/C so that the noise is muted? Can you get her some earplugs or muffs?

Cindy18
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Thing is you will probably never know why she is so afraid now. Just try to reassure her and try some of the stragies that the moms have suggested. 

Does she see a counselor or therapist?

Quoting Love2foster2009: She has seen fireworks and she covered her ears, but she has never acted this way before. It is to the extreme. She told me when I buy a new house that she didn't want it to have windows so she didn't have to see the fireworks. I just don't know what in the world has caused her to be so much more scared than before.
Quoting arkansasmama08: Poor girl 😞. Has she ever seen fireworks? Maybe you could let her watch some online with the sound off so she can see what it is..

Cindy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)