Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

so sad

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 1:52 PM
  • 20 Replies
My dd got tested for IQ to see if she's just slow and if the gap has been closing and unfortunately she scored between 30-59 so what I was told was that she is what they call moderate mentally retarded and her IQ really won't progress. I think what hurts even more is that everyone keeps telling me that she won't be able to become a veterinarian, how am I able to look at my daughter and tell her she won't be able to make her wish come true. Feeling so down
by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 1:57 PM
I'm sorry 😞. Dont tell her. Let her work for her goal. If she doesn't make it, maybe there's something else in that field she can do.
Gloria1025
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree - there is no reason she shouldn't have her dreams and aspirations.  You never know what she can achieve until she tries - IQ isn't everything.  Plus, there are many aspects to the field of veterinary medicine (veterinary technicians, animal handlers, caretakers etc.)  that who knows what she will do that will fulfill her dreams and  make her happy.

sweetoreo
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 6:25 PM
Thank you girls the people that also does the iep in the schools have also told me that she would need so much help that she wouldn't be able to go to college on her own and do many things on her own, it felt like they crushed my dreams for her of being independent. I thought the school system was suppose to help you find a way of helping the child achieve its full potential
MamaLauri
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Don't tell her, because if she believes she can improve her IQ with proper support and hard work, she can.

This has been proven. 

Learning will take her longer, require more repetitions, and teaching may need to be adapted to her learning differences. Virtually every child is able to learn and develop. As soon she is old enough, see if she can volunteer as a vet assistant. If in the end she does not qualify for vet school, she might be able to be a vet assistant.

How old is she?

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 6:44 PM

I agree. Don't tell her. Let her try. Good things are likely to happen in the trying.

sweetoreo
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 7:25 PM
She's 13 And has such a passion for saving animals, she's also going to seventh grade but is given materials of a second grade and she still has such a hard time with that

Quoting MamaLauri:

Don't tell her, because if she believes she can improve her IQ with proper support and hard work, she can.

This has been proven. 

Learning will take her longer, require more repetitions, and teaching may need to be adapted to her learning differences. Virtually every child is able to learn and develop. As soon she is old enough, see if she can volunteer as a vet assistant. If in the end she does not qualify for vet school, she might be able to be a vet assistant.

How old is she?

wickedstepjenn
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 7:31 PM
I wouldn't put all your faith in thier tests. When someone wants to do something bad enough they will. Dont let her know someone is trying to hold her down by a score. Also sometimes people do crappy on tests and great other wise.

Have faith in her passions and she will do great things with you cheering her on!
Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 7:39 PM

People surpass doctor's expectations and predictions all the time.  Don't count her out, and don't let herself either.  Find the best methods of learning for her and support her dreams.  Our kids can be capable of so much more than people say they can.  And I have two MR/ID kiddos.  I know what the reality says for them, but I choose to live in what they dream for and what makes them happy.  Shoot for the moon until proven otherwise by your child!

MamaLauri
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Is she a clear visual and/or kinetic learner? Or does she do equally well with verbal instruction?

Does she need to understand the concept before she can proceed or does she do better with lots of practice?

When provided with 2nd grade material in 2nd grade style does she get frustrated and angry or does she enjoy the younger style?

Quoting sweetoreo: She's 13 And has such a passion for saving animals, she's also going to seventh grade but is given materials of a second grade and she still has such a hard time with that
Quoting MamaLauri:

This has been proven. 

How old is she?

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 2, 2014 at 8:47 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree here...hugs mama!  Welcome to the group:)

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

People surpass doctor's expectations and predictions all the time.  Don't count her out, and don't let herself either.  Find the best methods of learning for her and support her dreams.  Our kids can be capable of so much more than people say they can.  And I have two MR/ID kiddos.  I know what the reality says for them, but I choose to live in what they dream for and what makes them happy.  Shoot for the moon until proven otherwise by your child!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)