Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Husband of Mom Blogger Who Allegedly Tried to Kill Autistic Daughter Speaks Out

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 2:56 PM
  • 6 Replies

Husband of Mom Blogger Who Allegedly Tried to Kill Autistic Daughter Speaks Out

by Jenny Erikson

Matt StapletonRemember last year when that mom blogger allegedly tried to kill herself and her 14-year-old autistic daughter because raising her got just too darn hard? Well Kelli Stapleton is finally up for trial for the attempted murder of her own daughter, and her husband has made his first public comments since the whole ugly ordeal began.

Matt Stapleton told PEOPLE magazine that Isabelle's recovery has been "amazing," and while he "still loves" his estranged wife, he'll "never forgive her." The now-15-year-old, affectionately known as Issy, has made a remarkable recovery since September 3, 2013, when she and her mother were found unconscious from carbon monoxide poisoning by two lit charcoal grills in a closed van.

Kelli's trial is scheduled to begin July 16, and she's pleading not guilty. If convicted, the 46-year-old could face life in prison. Matt, 42, said, "It should be black and white -- it should be easy to deal with ... the reality is, it's not."

The couple were outspoken advocates for their disabled daughter's care, and Kelli was even a high-profile blogger on the subject of dealing with autism as a parent. Matt said he believes years of Issy's physical abuse against Kelli and other family members may have led her to snap.

He said, "Who knows when and if she made a decision to do what she did? At whatever point, she felt like that was her only option. And I think there are other parents that fall in that category."

But even so, he acknowledges there is no excuse for what Kelli has been accused of doing. "This is not an okay act," he said. "I still love her, but I'll never forgive her."

Wowza. I can't imagine still loving someone if they tried to kill my kid -- even if they were my child's other parent. But maybe Matt has a unique perspective on the situation, given that he lived the life of parenting Issy alongside Kelli.

Regardless, it is pretty unforgivable, and Matt has filed for divorce after 17 years of marriage. He's been caring for Issy and their two other children by himself, says he couldn't do it without the support he's received from loved ones, and hopes that this tragedy will raise awareness for the need for more research on autism.

"I couldn't have made it through this tragic event without the support of my family, friends, and an incredibly close community," he said. "I hope this traumatic event will prompt a call to action."

Let's hope so. No parent struggling with raising a non-neurotypical child should get to the point where they believe death is the only viable option.

Could you ever forgive Kelli if you were Matt?

by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 3:03 PM
Yes, because if we do not forgive others God will not forgive us. Would it be easy? no. That would take a lot of prayer and if I was him I would try to get in contact with the lady whose story inspired Matthew West's song forgiveness.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:28 AM

this is sad. Could I forgive... I dont know.. but how freaking sad that we let people in our country get to a point where they cant handle taking care of their disabled children on their own. Where is the help? It boggles my mind that some people have 9 houses, 3 cc memberships, 5 cars.. while this woman cant get basic are and help for herself or her child.
I dont like it. It confusses and baffles me to no end.
Im glad other people have stepped up to help this man raise his kids in his wifes incareration... BUT, where were they when she was asking for help?
I really makes me disgusted that some people get SO much help (for themselves, for their kids-- and others get none.. or obviously not enough.) the criteria for help needs to change... . and EVERYONE with a special needs child should get the help they/their child needs!!!

letstalk747
by Joy on Jul. 3, 2014 at 5:35 PM

NO WAY

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 4, 2014 at 5:31 AM

This is so sad.

jjamom
by Michele on Jul. 4, 2014 at 8:02 AM

I am not sure I could forgive someone for this or still love them.  I guess I'd have to be in that situation to know for sure, but I doubt it.  

Cindy18
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 10:11 AM

I know I could never forgive someone for something so horrible. But you have to remember that he has loved this woman for over 17 years. That's not usually something you can just stop doing even if you can't stand them at this moment. 

I'm confused by the sentence  Matt said he believes years of Issy's physical abuse against Kelli and other family members may have led her to snap.

Is he blaming the child for the mom "snapping"?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)