Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

FRUSTRATION

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:23 AM
  • 43 Replies
My poor little guy got sick on Wednesday. We are right in the middle of his intensive feeding clinic admission. They told me the other day that one of the kids had coxsackie virus, so what I needed to watch for. Sure enough, I think he much have it. I don't know how long this might derail the whole feeding clinic process and if it does, there goes the rest of our Summer. We were hoping to get to the beach. Our other two kids aren't really getting much of a Summer eirher and I just feel incredibly frustrated. He has a doctors appt this afternoon, so I'll have to wait and see what he says. Watching him trying to eat his puréed (preferred) foods and moaning because it hurts to swallow is not making anything any better. I just feel like crying right now. :(

And for some reason, my posts have no text! Trying again and hoping it works this time.
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Jul. 18, 2014 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I am so sorry. I know how important this clinic is. Please keep us updated.

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Poor guy. How bad is the virus? Haven't heard of that one
mandee1503
by Amanda on Jul. 18, 2014 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Hope he feels better soon. Yeah cm was glitchy earlier today.
jjamom
by Michele on Jul. 18, 2014 at 4:29 PM
Thank you ladies. He does have it, as I suspected and it can take 7-10 days for the rash to go away and he is contagious until it's gone. This totally messes up everything! The doctor did tell me of a home remedy of giving them catnip tea and putting them in a hot bath, which he said can help their body rid itself of the virus faster, so we are going to try it. We just have to find catnip tea, lol! He said they sell it in health food stores.
jjamom
by Michele on Jul. 18, 2014 at 4:33 PM
It's pretty bad. He is miserable! You may have heard of it being called hand, foot and mouth disease. It is the same thing. They get blisters in their mouth, and on their hands and feet. Alex actually has a rash over various parts of his body (face and arms most significant) and has the sores in his mouth and throat, which is why he is so miserable. He hasn't wanted to eat or drink much since last night and the doctor said keeping him hydrated will be key because kids will sometimes refuse to eat and drink because it hurts so bad when they do. I am so upset over this. I feel so bad for him and am so stressed over the whole feeding clinic thing.

Quoting arkansasmama08: Poor guy. How bad is the virus? Haven't heard of that one
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 4:39 PM
Big Hugs Momma! I really hope the whole catnip tea works.
jjamom
by Michele on Jul. 18, 2014 at 4:52 PM
Thank you! I sure hope it works too. I just want to cry. :(

Quoting Linagma03: Big Hugs Momma! I really hope the whole catnip tea works.
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 4:58 PM
Ugh!!!!!' Ahhhhhhhh!!!!! Noooooi!!!!!
This sucks!!!
Can he eat Popsicles? The cold & hydration may help!
This totally stinks- could not have come at a worse time... Hope it goes quickly!!!!
jjamom
by Michele on Jul. 18, 2014 at 5:17 PM
It definitely came at a horrible time! I was actually thinking of you and Sam earlier and how he got sick when you went to Disney World. Getting sick is never good, but sometimes the timing really stinks!

He usually won't eat anything cold, well he will eat yogurt, but nothing else and nothing frozen. I might give it a shot though. The doctor recommended that too because it can sort of numb and be soothing and also keep him hydrated. If only he didn't have so many issues with food!

Quoting SamMom912: Ugh!!!!!' Ahhhhhhhh!!!!! Noooooi!!!!!
This sucks!!!
Can he eat Popsicles? The cold & hydration may help!
This totally stinks- could not have come at a worse time... Hope it goes quickly!!!!
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, Michele!!  I want to cry for you!!!  I know how much our little ones getting sick can last forever, and throw everything off.  And right in the middle of your important program, ugh!!!  What did the doc say?  And what is that virus?   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)