• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Serving liquids

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:25 AM
  • 8 Replies

My oldest DD had her bladder surgery 2 weeks today and is still laid up on bedrest.  She is on a liquid diet for a bit but I'm trying to figure out a better way to get them into her.  Other than raising her up to drink from a glass or from a straw, any idea?  Really long crazy straw?

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jjamom
by Michele on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:31 AM
Although it is harder, I'm sure. I would be inclined to keep raising her up to drink so that the liquids can be swallowed properly. There is always a risk of pneumonia when someone is confined to bed and that risk would increase significantly if she aspirates the fluids.
momtimesx4
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah I hear you on the pneumonia part.  We can only raise her up on an incline so far due to stiches and what not.  Been giving her medicine via a syringe, basically a jello shot syringe and thought about getting some baby bottles but I don't know how well that will go over as she wears a diaper for the time being.

mandee1503
by Amanda on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Is she inclined at all or laying flat? If she is propped up some on pillows I think a long straw would work. Or maybe a syringe or spoon. Good luck that's tough.
momtimesx4
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Basically 1 pillow height inclined.

Quoting mandee1503: Is she inclined at all or laying flat? If she is propped up some on pillows I think a long straw would work. Or maybe a syringe or spoon. Good luck that's tough.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:25 AM
These ladies have some good ideas. Hugs!!!
graycalico
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 1:57 AM
Maybe check out the water bottle aisle at target or somewhere. Camelback bottles or something like that don't spill as easily and can be tipped up
momtimesx4
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Quoting graycalico: Maybe check out the water bottle aisle at target or somewhere. Camelback bottles or something like that don't spill as easily and can be tipped up

We dragged out some sport water bottles as well as a camelback that can be hung up with a long drinking attachment. 

Looking into a better way to give her liquid meal replacement but we should be finalized with it all by this coming Thursday.

graycalico
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:29 AM
Ah. I was going to suggest those pouch foods too. They sell them next to the applesauce in the regular aisles as well as the baby section, so it wouldn't feel as babyish.

Quoting momtimesx4:

Quoting graycalico: Maybe check out the water bottle aisle at target or somewhere. Camelback bottles or something like that don't spill as easily and can be tipped up

We dragged out some sport water bottles as well as a camelback that can be hung up with a long drinking attachment. 

Looking into a better way to give her liquid meal replacement but we should be finalized with it all by this coming Thursday.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)