Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Latest Circumcision News Could Change Parents' Minds

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:41 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

Some parents know right away what they will do, while others aren't sure and are looking at research to help them decide. There is a new study with the latest information for those parents to take into consideration.

In a study of men in Kenya where circumcision is not common, it was revealed that men do not take part in riskier sexual behavior after they have been circumcised. AIDS is a huge issue in Africa and circumcision has been shown to reduce risk of being infected. But the concern was that the men would get a false sense of safety and put themselves in risky situations where they can contract AIDS because they thought being circumcised was a form of protection. This didn't happen -- there wasn't an increase in risky behavior. What also ended up happening is protective behaviors like using condoms went up especially among those who were circumcised. The awareness itself created even more awareness. 

More from The Stir: To Circumcise or Not to Circumcise? What You Need to Know

Finally something is being said about circumcision that won't worry us even more. This can be a tough decision for parents -- for many reasons. And with much more focus on it now, there may be generations of boys asking their parents why they choose to have them circumcised or not. The revelations in this study, along with the other information out there, may be what parents point to when discussing this with their kids when they are older.

Does this change your mind about circumcision? What are your thoughts?

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Jenn8604
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:45 PM
Nope.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicole_2007
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Nope. 

mandee1503
by Amanda on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:06 PM
We left Jacob in tact but of course now I know it doesn't matter for him.
jjamom
by Michele on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:13 PM
We chose to circumcise both of our sons. I don't regret the choice.
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:17 PM
2 moms liked this

Mind not changed.

I still think cutting on a child's private parts is barbaric.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:21 AM
Nope.
graycalico
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 1:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I still don't agree with genital mutilation.
moonspinr
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 7:17 AM

It doesn't change my mind, but it's good to know--we circumcised our son.  And no, I don't believe it's "genital mutilation".

kajira
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 7:33 AM

No - because what they do in kenya has NO BEARING on boy children born in the USA or Canada or other more civilized countries with access to educaiton and birth control.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)