Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Some Help

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:23 AM
  • 6 Replies
I am relatively new to this group. I have a 5 year old son. I had some suspicions that he had problems but kept being told he was fine. It took him going to Head Start and being evaluated for us to get help. He has an appointment with a Developmental Pediatrician in September. We are hoping to get some answers about some of his behaviors and issues. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect at the appointment. I have tried looking online but cannot get any answers. I am sorry for there being no paragraphs. I am on my phone and it won't let me make them. Thank you for any help.
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:04 AM

The developmental pediatrician will ask you questions about your child and development, concerns you have, oddities you think you notice.  Then there is age/developmental appropriate testing- pretend play, block building, identifying pictures, stuff like that.  I would take in a written list of any concerns, as well as pictures of what you child is doing that may strike you as off.  They may also require pre question ares to be filled out by you and school.  Best of luck.  Hope you get your answers!

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:54 AM
Thank you so much.
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:09 AM

My DD did her evaluation through Head Start, but they wouldn't let me in the room with her. I had to sit in the hall and fill out questionarres about her behavior and skills. I'm told they played color, shapes and matching games. Like a litle kid IQ test. They also observed her playing with other kids to get a sense of her social skills. A meeting was called 2 days later with her teacher, special ed director, language pathologist, life skills worker and principal to develop an IEP for her.

by Darby on Jul. 31, 2014 at 5:56 AM

These ladies have the right advice...hugs and good luck!  Let us know how it all goes.

by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 6:00 AM

It's primarily a lot of questions about family medical history (keep notes you'll have to answer those many times over) how old was he when first roll over, sit up, speak, walk, and all those milestone things.  They'll watch, listen and interact with him.  These meetings are more intense / scary for the parent, but don't fret their not intended to make you uncomfortable.  We tend to get emotional in some form.

by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 11:32 PM

All the ladies have told you pretty much what is going to happen. The developmental pedi we saw sent us a big packet about a month before her appt for me to fill out and mail back so that he could look them over and be prepared to ask me questions. It was suggested that I make a copy of the questionaire so that I could answer any questions more indepth. There are so many questions it boggles the mind. I also had some questions but he was very thorough and covered just about all of the questions that I had. When I walked out a couple hours later we had a tentitive dx. It was a bit overwhelming but I was glad that I was able to get her seen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)