Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

scoliosis update on Zack

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:17 PM
  • 11 Replies
We did another xray on his spine Monday. Last years measured the curve at 8 degrees. This one was 8.5. It is increasing, but slowly. They asked if I wanted to try to get him into Children's hospital for an exam and I said yes. He complains about his hips and knees popping at times, and I'm afraid its caused by the scoliosis. The nurse said she would put that on the referral as well and try to get him in, but said they don't usually see them until they reach a 12 degree curve. So, we'll see.
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:56 PM

I know very little about scoliosis other than they check for it every annual appt.  Is there something they can do for it at the Children's hospital?  If so, I hope they get him in.  Glad they keep watching him well! 

jjamom
by Michele on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:33 PM
My friends daughter had scoliosis surgery last Summer. It was a really difficult surgery on her.

They found out she had scoliosis a few years ago and it was already like a 30-something degree curve. Well then she dislocated her hip and they had to put her in a brace for that and it actually caused the curve of her spine to increase. She ended up having to have surgery on her hip 6 mos before she had the scoliosis surgery because it dislocated again. Her curve was a 40-some degree curve by the time they did the surgery. She'll have to have surgery again in the future, but there are different types of growing rods and one of them would have required surgery every couple of years until she was finished growing. With this one, they are expecting maybe one more surgery when she is in her teens (she is 10 now).

Especially considering the growing rods, it may be better to wait until he is older if possible to start any surgeries, so there would be less changes that would need to be made with the growing rods. I know some people live with scoliosis as well, but I don't know what the cutoff for curvature that is not deemed surgical is considered to be.
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:34 PM
I'm not sure. They may look more at how its affecting him and be able to guess how much more it will progress. What concerns me is they just caught it last year. He didn't show signs of it before. But he grew a lot that year and it progresses more during growth spurts. He's only 8 so he's got a lot more growing..

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

I know very little about scoliosis other than they check for it every annual appt.  Is there something they can do for it at the Children's hospital?  If so, I hope they get him in.  Glad they keep watching him well! 

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:37 PM
He's already having trouble with his hips and knees and that worries me. I know they won't do surgery until it hits like 40 degrees. I don't know if they'll discuss braces or what if it keeps increasing. He's so tall already, I'm just worried that it'll keep increasing as he grows and he's got a lot of growing. He's going to be a big guy

Quoting jjamom: My friends daughter had scoliosis surgery last Summer. It was a really difficult surgery on her.

They found out she had scoliosis a few years ago and it was already like a 30-something degree curve. Well then she dislocated her hip and they had to put her in a brace for that and it actually caused the curve of her spine to increase. She ended up having to have surgery on her hip 6 mos before she had the scoliosis surgery because it dislocated again. Her curve was a 40-some degree curve by the time they did the surgery. She'll have to have surgery again in the future, but there are different types of growing rods and one of them would have required surgery every couple of years until she was finished growing. With this one, they are expecting maybe one more surgery when she is in her teens (she is 10 now).

Especially considering the growing rods, it may be better to wait until he is older if possible to start any surgeries, so there would be less changes that would need to be made with the growing rods. I know some people live with scoliosis as well, but I don't know what the cutoff for curvature that is not deemed surgical is considered to be.
jjamom
by Michele on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:40 PM
We're kind of in the same boat with my little guys breastbone defect. He is so tiny and the pediatrician told me that when he has a growth spurt that it may really become more prominent and more of a problem. He is 9, but the size of a 6 year old right now.

Quoting arkansasmama08: He's already having trouble with his hips and knees and that worries me. I know they won't do surgery until it hits like 40 degrees. I don't know if they'll discuss braces or what if it keeps increasing. He's so tall already, I'm just worried that it'll keep increasing as he grows and he's got a lot of growing. He's going to be a big guy

Quoting jjamom: My friends daughter had scoliosis surgery last Summer. It was a really difficult surgery on her.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Hope you get answers!!

Quoting arkansasmama08: I'm not sure. They may look more at how its affecting him and be able to guess how much more it will progress. What concerns me is they just caught it last year. He didn't show signs of it before. But he grew a lot that year and it progresses more during growth spurts. He's only 8 so he's got a lot more growing..
Quoting Momof4AEMW:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 31, 2014 at 5:31 AM

Hugs and hope you get some answers mama!

Nicole_2007
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Hope you guys get answers.  I live with scoliosisand I am always have knee problems and problems with my lower back. 

Linagma03
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 11:48 PM

I hope that you can get in to the Children's Hospital and get some answers. Good Luck!

letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 7:38 PM

hoping for answers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)