Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

chores? do your kids do them?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 11:23 AM
  • 7 Replies
We started about a month or so ago and I'm wondering if its worth it lol. Each kid has their list of things to do and gets a smiley face when they're completed. Its almost as much work to stay on top of everybody as it is to do it myself lol. Plus, it takes Mikayla FOREVER to do anything. It took her 20 minutes this morning to put things on the bathroom counter away. Zack did it just as well in 5 minutes when it was his turn.

I know, I'm just whiney I think. But its aggravating.
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Aug. 7, 2014 at 12:51 PM
Dd helps clean up when I ask. She doesn't have any set chores because things vary from day to day.
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 11:20 PM

My oldest does, but they include things like practicing his piano, reading, writing, and then a couple more household type ones.  He should have more for being 11, but he helps out giving horseback rides to his siblings to keep them happy, feeding littles a bottle in a pinch, chasing someone out of somewhere, etc.  I figure his life is enough work. 

My one daughter makes her bed and picks up her room every day.  My little daughter, um no, not even close.  My little boy, his chore is to use his words to ask for things instead of a scream and continue working on potty training.  Once we get that down, well work on something else, lol! 

letstalk747
by Joy on Aug. 7, 2014 at 11:27 PM

ohhh i know

jjamom
by Michele on Aug. 8, 2014 at 1:16 PM
Definitely worth it. With my two oldest, it can be like pulling teeth, but I really think they need to chip in and have some responsibility. I wish I had been more consistent with it when they were younger, I think it might be easier now if I had.
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 7:47 PM

I know the feeling about being aggravating. Lina has the job of feeding the dogs every morning. Some mornings when I've checked there is only a few pieces left in the bowl but she didn't feed them because they have food left. I've had to tell her to feed them or I won't feed her. Sometimes she sets the table or clears or both but it takes her forever because she has to agrue saying she can't do it because there are so many things to put away and she can't carry them all. I usually wind up having to tell her everything that she needs to do as she finishes one thing then tell her the next thing she needs to put away. I have times where I just want to scream at her or just tell her go do something I'll do it myself. I don't do either because I know she'll just get worse if I send her away and do it myself. 

Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 9:42 PM
It's a battle to get him to clean up after himself. I'm not fighting to get extras done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goldpandora
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 4:13 AM

LĂ©onie empties the dishwasher and puts everything away (and sometimes there are surprises - lol) and she makes her bed and tidies up after herself (she likes to play cards, do puzzles on the floor). Sometimes she surprises us and sets the table or clears it :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)