Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Might be relocating to PA for Autism Support, What city and school should I look into?

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:41 AM
  • 7 Replies

Currently in Eastern NC Greenville area and I am having the most difficult time to get the schools to comply to the needs of my children. I have 3 kids with Autism along with other issues. All their doctors are on board, written letters etc but because they have medical and educational separate, they are using it as an excuse to deny needed services. The schools are treating them like because they have Autism and LD requirements, putting them in a corner is easier then trying to actually teach them. I do believe they even inflated my sons scores so he no longer qualifies for an IEP even when his IQ tests that were done via Private Medical Psychiatrists proves he has learning disabilities. But again, they say they "considered" it but their tests done by a school psychologist proves that he is fine. Its a joke. My son went into Kindergarten on level and is entering 1st grade 75% behind. They rather suspend him from school or isolate him into the library since they do not want to provide him with special ed to help him. I am at my ropes end with them. No matter what I say, they do nothing but patronize me. If I continue to fight, my sons education will continue to lower and he will continue to suffer. My girls are having struggles too. We recently went to visit Hazelton, Wilkes Barre, Poconos etc to see how the towns are. Even though they are very different from what we are use to living like now, I am wanting to move for the better of my kids. I am hoping all the good things PA has to offer for kids with AUTISM is true and we can find somewhere with good public schools (or private) with a low crime area and affordable housing (less then 1000 a month). What cities are a good starting point? I do not like Wilkes Barre inner city schools but the area seems good. Just do not know what neighborhoods would be safe to live in for what school. Same goes for the any other cities. I am open to live anywhere as long as its safe and my kids are educated. I would need to be in a city or within a 30 minute drive to one with Occupational, Speech and Physical therapists to do in school and privately. I also will need developmental therapy and respite services as these are currently the services my kids receive. Are schools easier to deal with? Is it hard to get services when you have medical documentation to back up all things needed? What city neighborhood has low crime and schools with great education for Autism? Thank you for any suggestions.

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MamaX3lilgirls
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:54 AM
I live 20+ miles from Johnstown and my autistic daughter recieves wraparound services from a program called ACRP. my daughter is in a public school but receives services there and from ACRP. her speech and ot are done through the school as is her learning support services. She has a TSS through ACRP that goes to school with her. Which is fantastic because she isn't with the school and lets me know EVERY THING that goes on. Also ACRP does amazing after school programs and summer camps. They do offer an autism school in Johnstown (I would not recommend living in the city of Johnstown) but they do provide transportation 40+ miles away. There school is amazing and we are looking into it in the next few years when the public school can no longer meet my daughter's needs. They have top of the line technology and a sensory room...provide ot and pt and speech. Best of luck to you and feel free to write me.
Semajmom719
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:48 AM
I live in Upper Darby which is right outside of philly I like the different supports they do offer (which is way more than philly did). My son is 5 with autism and right now he goes to pre k thats in a daycare and he ha a special education teacher come see him on.mondays a speech therapist on Tuesdays and a support group on fridays. I am thinking about sending him to a aba school center because of his tantrums and I do want him to be around more kids like him....hope things work out for u...hugs
Linagma03
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:13 PM

I don't have any experience with Autism so here's a bump for those that can help. Hugs and good luck!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 14, 2014 at 5:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Cool name:)  My name is Darby!  LOL!

Quoting Semajmom719: I live in Upper Darby which is right outside of philly I like the different supports they do offer (which is way more than philly did). My son is 5 with autism and right now he goes to pre k thats in a daycare and he ha a special education teacher come see him on.mondays a speech therapist on Tuesdays and a support group on fridays. I am thinking about sending him to a aba school center because of his tantrums and I do want him to be around more kids like him....hope things work out for u...hugs

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 14, 2014 at 5:53 AM

I don't have any experience with that area but I wish you the best!

Semajmom719
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 7:17 AM
Lol heyyyyy Darby

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Cool name:)  My name is Darby!  LOL!

Quoting Semajmom719: I live in Upper Darby which is right outside of philly I like the different supports they do offer (which is way more than philly did). My son is 5 with autism and right now he goes to pre k thats in a daycare and he ha a special education teacher come see him on.mondays a speech therapist on Tuesdays and a support group on fridays. I am thinking about sending him to a aba school center because of his tantrums and I do want him to be around more kids like him....hope things work out for u...hugs

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:17 PM
I understand your fight. We've dealt with it too. We are unable to move though. We have pulled our children from public school to homeschool and will be getting services through Medicaid this year. Up till now, we have gotten therapy through the school, but the older two have aged out and they say the youngest doesn't qualify, which his drs and therapists say is a joke. So, I feel you.

I don't know anything about pa but I hope you can find a good place that will help your children better. Maybe look up a number for childrens hospital or a developmental pediatrician that's local to that area and ask their opinions on schools. Unless they work for one, they'll be honest with you. Good luck mama. Keep us posted.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)