Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Books that you would recommend?

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 9:12 PM
  • 8 Replies

My son is 9 and is in the process of being diagnosed but thinking something along the lines of ADHD/Aspergers (yes I know those two are different just what teachers/doctors are talking about on the wait list to be tested...November of this year.

Are there any books that anyone can recommend to help in parenting. I am so drained and run down right now. He is a good kid for the most part just "normal" parenting doesnt work. He doesnt respond to "normal" discpline either. 

Oh and I am homeschooling so anything to go with that would be great too. 

by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 9:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 9:50 PM

For homeschooling I would recomend one or both of these products.

http://www.diagnosticprescriptive.com/learningproblems.html

http://www.diagnosticprescriptive.com/adhd.html

We used this product

http://www.diagnosticprescriptive.com/poc4u.html

and it was the best thing I bought. I wish I used the two products above as well.

SuprMom12042702
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 11:21 PM
When I was In the decision making process of what I wanted to go to school for I found the book So you want to be a special ed teacher. It was a humorous look at what a special education teacher runs in too. While it wasn't the best at being informative it let me know that it was okay to laugh at things. I have carried that thought with me for years now and even at the worst times I have been able to laugh at something.
Connorsmommy13
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Quoting SuprMom12042702: When I was In the decision making process of what I wanted to go to school for I found the book So you want to be a special ed teacher. It was a humorous look at what a special education teacher runs in too. While it wasn't the best at being informative it let me know that it was okay to laugh at things. I have carried that thought with me for years now and even at the worst times I have been able to laugh at something.

Thanks I will look into that. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 19, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Not sure to be honest as my is autistic as well but he's much younger.  Hugs and good luck!

letstalk747
by Joy on Aug. 19, 2014 at 9:13 PM

The out of Sync Child

Cindy18
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:01 AM

Anything by Temple Grandin. She is great with explaining what it is like to be autistic. 

I don't have anything for ADD. 

MamaLauri
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:36 AM
1 mom liked this

And Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun by Carol Kranowitz

Try getting from the library, first. Although great books, oriented to slightly younger kids.

Quoting letstalk747:

The out of Sync Child

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)