Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

First DAY of school...worried mom!

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:17 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hi everyone! =)

I'm back again...it's been quite a summer. How was everyone's summer? I hope it was good! Now that summer is over, and it's back to school for most.....I could REALLY use your advice!

My son has been transffered and moved to different schools *FOUR* times, already! Last year was the BEST year he's had, ever. He loved his teacher, he was already adjusted, happy and learning! He has improved on his speech, tremedously because of his teacher! We thought he was going to have her again this year, because it is a Special ed prek-2nd grade class but the district switched him out......we always have this issue...(because we are using MIL's address for him to stay within the district.) We love his teacher, alot!

I believe in consistency for a child and stability. I want him to have the same teacher this year. I was wondering if any of you moms have fought to request your child having the same teacher, and if so is it possible? I'm willing to try......His first day at the new school with the new teacher I was not truly pleased. He looked overall confused, and I feel so bad about that.....the look on his face. It wasn't a happy one.

Thanks all, for your help and for your time reading this. I appreciate any kind advice or opinons you may suggest.

by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
o0gone0o
by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Generally kids get new teachers every year. So I'm no help. Here's a bump for you though..

babyluv23
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:22 PM

My son's classmates got the same exact teacher this year, he was the only one removed from the class, which is why I wanted him to have the same one and if it's possible to request to have him go back there....just wondering though. If anyone has been through this, let me know.

Quoting o0gone0o:

Generally kids get new teachers every year. So I'm no help. Here's a bump for you though..

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Well, if he moved to a different school, no he won't have the same teacher.  I don't get why they moved him.  Does he not live in district for that school so it is like an out of district transfer?  If the home district is full of kids, maybe he can't stay, not sure.  My kids did have the same SPED teacher 2 years in a row at the same school, which was great.  But that was prek, and we were in district for that school.  I'm just not understanding why he gets moved so much if his home address is not moving and the schools can handle his accommodations.   

mandee1503
by Amanda on Aug. 20, 2014 at 3:23 PM
No experience. Here's a bump!
ProudMeof2
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 5:49 PM

My son was supposed to have the same teacher, but at the meet and greet your teacher day, we found out his teacher had got a job last minute at another school and took it. We were all upset and now his new teacher is not fitting in with the kids so the parents are trying to figure out what we can do. It is not a good sign when the teacher goes to grab a students hand and he dodges cuz he is scared of her.

letstalk747
by Joy on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:48 PM

nice to see ya , im always nervous 1st day of school too

MomBowen
by New Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 11:00 AM

I would go to the school and ask why he was the only one removed from the class if everyon else stayed. If the address hasn't changed then it shouldn't be the problem. If you can show documentation of his improvement with that teacher and why it is important for him to remain there to continue his growth and development. Depending on the reasons the school gives you, try to have counter justification for returning him to the class he excelled in. You might want to push the LRE clause (least restrictive enviroment) of the IDEA. Hope this helps

jjamom
by Michele on Aug. 21, 2014 at 11:34 AM
I know in our district, if you are out of area, you have to reapply every year for an out of area transfer. They do these on a first come, first served basis and only if they are not already over their enrollment numbers. However, my son was "placed" at his current school, so we have never have to do that. Did your son have special permission (like either of the above) to be placed at the school he was at last year? Maybe he was moved because they ran out of room or because the out of area form was not resubmitted?

My son was in the same program K-2 and now will be for 3-5. The teacher remains the same unless he/she leaves the school or position. His Gen Ed teacher changes every year. I am assuming your son was in something similar, since the students will all be with the same teacher again?

I'd try calling your special education director to find out exactly what happened and see if you can have him transferred back. What grade is he in, BTW?
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 21, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Hugs mama...these ladies have some good advice!

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 2:06 AM

I wish I could help you. Lina is going to be in the same school but a different classroom with a teacher she had for part of her days last year so she is comfortable and happy about the change. Each of the schools that she's been in have been developmental preschool & headstart; K-2; 3-6 they are supposed to have the same teacher each year unless the teacher quits. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)