Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Apraxia

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 2:04 PM
  • 11 Replies

Does anyone else have that diagnosis? 

Samantha

by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 22, 2014 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group!  My son is almost 6 and nonverbal but he's autistic and doesn't have speech apraxia.  There are other moms in here with experience though.  Hugs!

mandee1503
by Amanda on Aug. 22, 2014 at 3:01 PM
Welcome to the group. My ds doesn't but here's a bump.
MamaLauri
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Are you talking about Apraxia of speech? I had that as a child or when I am very tired. I called it stuttering but it really was not. Stuttering is more repeating a sound in a word and apraxia is dropping. I dropped. Now I believe it had to do with my hearing challenges. Even though I could mostly say individual words, I spoke like like I frequently heard normal conversation (sounds dropped, not being able to separate background sounds from conversations, a common challenge in ASD/ADHD/Dyslexia syndrome mix). This is helped with a dopamine friendly diet: foods high in tyrosine, Omega-3, and antioxidants.

Lennyloves
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Speech apraxia?  My son is dx with it.  He is going to be 9 soon and it is slowly getting better.  He talks like a three- four year old. He is in private speech on and off and gets extensive help in school, He also was dx last year with central auditory processing disorder.  The school says that he is congnitively delayed. MY gut feeling is he has trouble with those other two areas which transition over to areas they test him in.  I also believe he has issues with aniexty because he cant fully articulate what he does comprehend.

golfqueen123
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 10:56 PM

My son is 7 he has down syndrome and has speech apraxia also.  He does speech therapy and has made some great progress.  They just said it will take time and we just really have to work hard on the speech.

Snjohnson0322
by New Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:26 AM

When was your son diagnosed? Like I said my daughter is only 18 months so the speech therapist hasn't given her that diagnosis, just verbal delay but she has thrown out the word speech apraxia a ton! Since she is so young the speech therapist wants to see her another 3 months and then we will be taking a break and she said she will most likely need services in the future when she starts talking more... I know it is a long road ahead if she does indeed had speech apraxia but how do you deal?

Quoting Lennyloves:

Speech apraxia?  My son is dx with it.  He is going to be 9 soon and it is slowly getting better.  He talks like a three- four year old. He is in private speech on and off and gets extensive help in school, He also was dx last year with central auditory processing disorder.  The school says that he is congnitively delayed. MY gut feeling is he has trouble with those other two areas which transition over to areas they test him in.  I also believe he has issues with aniexty because he cant fully articulate what he does comprehend.

Snjohnson0322
by New Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:30 AM

My pediatrician had my daughters hearing tested first and she has prefect hearing and that is why she recommended that we see a speech therapist. My daughter speaks with her throat, which I heard so very common. She doesn't articulate her words well so what little words she does say are hard to understand. I will try the diet, thank you!

Quoting MamaLauri:

Are you talking about Apraxia of speech? I had that as a child or when I am very tired. I called it stuttering but it really was not. Stuttering is more repeating a sound in a word and apraxia is dropping. I dropped. Now I believe it had to do with my hearing challenges. Even though I could mostly say individual words, I spoke like like I frequently heard normal conversation (sounds dropped, not being able to separate background sounds from conversations, a common challenge in ASD/ADHD/Dyslexia syndrome mix). This is helped with a dopamine friendly diet: foods high in tyrosine, Omega-3, and antioxidants.

Lennyloves
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this
It was late, 4years old.I thought he'd be a late talker because everything else is/was doing ok. They did put ear tubes in at that age too because of fluid build up. But it never improved he speech like so many others. We do a lot of repeating. He learned simple sign language. The early you start with all this the better off you'll be:)

Quoting Snjohnson0322:

When was your son diagnosed? Like I said my daughter is only 18 months so the speech therapist hasn't given her that diagnosis, just verbal delay but she has thrown out the word speech apraxia a ton! Since she is so young the speech therapist wants to see her another 3 months and then we will be taking a break and she said she will most likely need services in the future when she starts talking more... I know it is a long road ahead if she does indeed had speech apraxia but how do you deal?

Quoting Lennyloves:

mamadebora
by New Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:06 AM
My ds has it. He started speech at 18 months and is turning 4 tomorrow, he continues in speech. My advice to you is to find a speech therapist who understands and is experienced with apraxia, there needs to be a lot of repetition of words (drills) in order for these kids to make progress and do your homework with her/ him at home, repetition is the key. She just performed a new evaluation on him 3 weeks ago and she said the apraxia is almost resolved, so don't loose hope. The diagnosis was very hard on us but with hard work and consistency apraxia can be overcome.
Snjohnson0322
by New Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 3:43 PM

My daughter hasn't been diagnosed with apraxia yet but it has been brought up several times. She sees a speech therapist once a week and this next month she will be increasing to twice for a few months. They are hoping to quit services in December for a little bit and then she might need to come back when she is older... She really has progressed and in the last week she has had an explosion in language! It's hard to understand her because she speaks with her throat but I love that she is trying so hard to talk and can finally use her words. We are also starting to sign and she is doing very well with that!! What was the hardest part with the diagnosis and treatment that you encountered?

Quoting mamadebora: My ds has it. He started speech at 18 months and is turning 4 tomorrow, he continues in speech. My advice to you is to find a speech therapist who understands and is experienced with apraxia, there needs to be a lot of repetition of words (drills) in order for these kids to make progress and do your homework with her/ him at home, repetition is the key. She just performed a new evaluation on him 3 weeks ago and she said the apraxia is almost resolved, so don't loose hope. The diagnosis was very hard on us but with hard work and consistency apraxia can be overcome.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN