Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Overwhelmed and not sure what to do

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2014 at 1:31 AM
  • 9 Replies
I just joined and well, I'm stressed. My daughter is 12 and functions on the level of a 3 year old in some aspects, in other areas (such as math and strategical games)she is advanced. She is a selective speaker and usually uses her own versions of words. She isn't aggressive. people. Her tantrums are a mixture of agitation and hyperactivity.

She also suffers from severe constipation and has her whole life.She is off and on potty trained& when she has trouble going we relapse back in to pull ups. She is on miralax but it's difficult because, like all of her meds, we have to force them if she gets in a mood and won't comply.

During her calm moments, my daughter can seem less severe. She smiles and almost looks at people. Her main issue with others is hair-she loves the texture of it and will pull anyone's. My son is 7 and NT. I'm a single parent living with my best friend from college (who is awesome).

Frankly I wish we could just relax. I understand that therapy is beneficial to my daughter but I'm tired of being there nearly every other day and having people come to my house. I love her school but I am overwhelmed by IEP meetings and meeting with her teacher for an hour practically every morning (small talk turns into conversation about sydney's behavior).

I love my daughter very much and I want her to be the best version of herself. I know she needs these services but I hope that we reach a point where we can go about normal life as a family. I love and accept her differences, sometimes I just want to take my kids to the park and call it a day.

Do you ever reach a point when your child is "stabilized" ?
by on Sep. 3, 2014 at 1:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Sep. 3, 2014 at 3:11 AM
*hugs* I don't know if we ever reach that point with our children.
dawncs
by Dawn on Sep. 3, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Have you consulted a gasterenterologist? Speak of every problem to the primary care physican and you can get a referal easy.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 11:50 AM

My three with SN are only six, so no stabilizing yet.  Certainly that is to he goal and hope, but our needs just seem to evolve instead of stabilize.  I hope you get to that point.  I hope we all do someday.

DisabledVet
by on Sep. 3, 2014 at 12:01 PM

I wish I could offer you hope but children like this often end up in places with sheltered employment. Have you thought of going to a support group. Also have you tried celebrex clear which can be put in juice or water and won't be viewed as a med? There is also an anti constipation jam you can make at home that works. Those of us on pain meds use it. Does she like figs or prunes? What about prune juice. Can any of her meds be put in liquid form to make giving them to her easier?

A support group can help. Aslo is there respite care in your area? What is her dx (diagnoses) and are there other families with her problem? Good luck.

jjamom
by Michele on Sep. 3, 2014 at 12:28 PM
I think we all feel that burned out feeling ocassionally, when it comes to therapy. We keep doing it because we know it benefits our child, but I agree, every once in a while I start to dread it. My son is only in private speech and feeding therapy for now and does more therapies at school. I would love to add OT and PT privately, but just can't right now. With two other kids, it's just too much. I am hoping to put him in adaptive sports, so it might help with gross motor, but not be another therapy.

Are there any activities that might be "therapeutic" for her without being actual therapy?
StarLight23
by Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 2:02 PM

I think to a point that my son has 'stabilized'. He is almost nine and has a diagnosis (dx) of high functioning autism.

I understand about being burned out. I would really recommend respite care or a special needs sitter from care.com.

Sometimes you do just want those days for your family.

letstalk747
by Joy on Sep. 3, 2014 at 3:40 PM

my son is 14  Autism and other issues no stability yet

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Welcome! My girl is almost 11 and for a while I could've said we were stablized then some new problems have begun to crop up. So the small respite is over. She only gets therapy at school. She has a brother and sister that are nt and teenagers, the girl is into sports so we spent most of the summer dropping off and picking up from practices & games. It gets overwhelming at times and all I can do is take a deep breath and go on. 

The other ladies had some good ideas about respite care or sports that would work in place of therapy. Good Luck!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 5, 2014 at 5:05 AM

Hugs and welcome!  My son is almost 6, and some days I think he's stabilized and then other days he's not.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN