Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Social Issues + Low Motor Development

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:19 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hi everyone! I posted this in the elementarty school group and was referred here. 

I am having a difficult time on the next call to action for my 7 (almost 8) year old. He is stil undergoing speech therapy for his appraxia diagnosed at the age of 2. He was also diagnosed with sensory issues at that time too. He is a very bright boy who is respectful and caring but I'm concerned about:

1. Social Akwardness - He is nervous when he has to meet someone new. He keeps his head down and wont make eye contact with new people. However, once he gets to know them, he will make eye contact and socialize just fine. In most pictures, you can always see him as the boy standing away from other kids. 

2. Isolation - He is now begining to isolate himself at recess because he doesn't know how to play the games they play. Im sure a lot of it is nervousness too. 

3. Low Motor Development- He can not catch or dribble a ball. His run is akward and he is easily distracted if I try to get him to focus on the concept I'm trying to teach him. He complains constantly when learning a new task. Monkey bars are out of the question. As is, anything physical really. He'll play tag, but hes always it. 

4. Anxiety- There are certain things he is so fearful of that I don't find he should be. He's afraid to use the restroom alone if its just us in the house. He scared himself to the point he broke out in hives when he thought of a ghost train after looking at his 2 year old brothers train. Kiddy rides at disneyland/ fair is out of the question too.  

5. Obsessiveness- It was trains non stop from 2-5, then dinsosaurs from 6-7 and now its minecraft. He learns everything he can about his area of interest and incorporates it into everything. School assignments too. 

It breaks my heart and I dont want to put labels on him but I would like to be his best advocate and do everything I can do to help. Any pointers, suggestions, what has worked for you>?

by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Hugs Mama!!  Based on what you said and your child's age, I would recommend having him evaluated by a developmental pediatrician, developmental psychologist, or neuro psychologist.  They can give you the best assessment and also advise of accommodations/therapies that may be helpful for him to work on these challenging areas.  While I can understand your stance on 'lables,' those lables also bring needed services and school accommodations to help the children that need them succeed.  Good luck!

letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 6:20 PM

so he has never been evaled by the school district?

Linagma03
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Welcome to the group. I'm glad you came over here. I was going to ask you in the Elementary group if the school or teachers had ever suggested he be tested in any fashion. Having him tested is the first step because once that is done then you can get the services that will help him. Also once he is tested you will have the means of learning the best ways to teach him also. Labels make people anxious because we have grown up believing that any kind of a label besides "gifted" or "genius" means that the child is "mentally challanged" or stupid and lazy. That isn't true at all. It is actually to a child's benefit to get labelled when there is a problem because that is the only way that they can get any kind of help in the schools. 

Go to your family dr and request a referral to a developmental/behaviorial pedi or pediatric phsycologist or pediatric neurologist any of them can help you. Which in the long run helps him. 

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:56 PM
I agree, time to get an evaluation. Also, is he receiving physical therapy?
Cindy18
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 8:26 PM
I completely agree with this. I don't like the labels either but they do get the services that are needed.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Hugs Mama!!  Based on what you said and your child's age, I would recommend having him evaluated by a developmental pediatrician, developmental psychologist, or neuro psychologist.  They can give you the best assessment and also advise of accommodations/therapies that may be helpful for him to work on these challenging areas.  While I can understand your stance on 'lables,' those lables also bring needed services and school accommodations to help the children that need them succeed.  Good luck!

ko912
by Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 8:49 PM
I completely agree with all the other Moms here. He needs to be tested. He sounds so much like my son. My advise would just be a repeat of all the above. Its all good advise. Good luck to both of you.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 24, 2014 at 4:59 AM

Great advice...hugs and welcome to the group!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

jjamom
by Michele on Sep. 24, 2014 at 6:49 AM
Welcome to the group! I agree with the others, get an appt with a Dev Ped for an evaluation. Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)