• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do if another kid bit your child?

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:24 AM
  • 11 Replies
Yesterday I got a call from Cameron's teacher saying that another student bit my son. She said she informed her supervisor and Cameron was taken to the school nurse to be checked out and he was fine. After work, I went straight to the hospital to visit my brother and the teacher didn't call until after 6 (I still wasn't home yet). When I got home, I checked Cameron's arm, and I didn't see a mark. Do you think I'm over reacting by taking him to the doctor to get checked? Would you?
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:33 AM
4 moms liked this

My son has been bit by another child before...it happens.  My son was bit twice last school year, and they were horrible bites...looked like he had been bit by a dog.  He healed and everything was fine.  Never broke the skin but left a horrible imprint of the other child's teeth.  We never took him to the doctor...wasn't necessary.  

If you don't see a mark, there's really no reason to take him to the doctor as there's nothing the doctor can really do.  Sounds like the teacher did exactly what she was supposed to do...notify her supervisor and she needs to notify BOTH sets of parents...the parents of the other child as well.  

Hugs and good luck!

mandee1503
by Amanda on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:53 AM
1 mom liked this
If there isn't a mark I wouldn't worry about it.
Mommy2Boys0900
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:58 AM
Thanks. Yeah, I was very pleased with the teacher's response to the situation. She called me and she said she called the other parent as well. I'm just freaking out because it was a bite,but thankfully, no skin was broken. The other child is non verbal (the teacher didn't name the kid of course, and I completely understand) and my Cameron is not very good at accurately getting his point across so we're not sure why this happened. But I guess a trip to the doctor would be a bit much.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

My son has been bit by another child before...it happens.  My son was bit twice last school year, and they were horrible bites...looked like he had been bit by a dog.  He healed and everything was fine.  Never broke the skin but left a horrible imprint of the other child's teeth.  We never took him to the doctor...wasn't necessary.  

If you don't see a mark, there's really no reason to take him to the doctor as there's nothing the doctor can really do.  Sounds like the teacher did exactly what she was supposed to do...notify her supervisor and she needs to notify BOTH sets of parents...the parents of the other child as well.  

Hugs and good luck!

Marti123
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I would only seek medical attention if the skin was broken. All of my children have been bit in daycare multiple times. We have never needed to go to our provider.
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:06 AM

I'd probably skip the doctor on that one.  There's no mark or cut skin.  Bites between kids happen.  Sounds like teacher did what she should.  I hope she told the other set of parents too!

jjamom
by Michele on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:06 AM
I agree with the others, if the skin was not broken, it's not necessary. Hope it doesn't happen again.
Mommy2Boys0900
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks ladies for easing my paranoia and fears. I'm sure my pediatrician would have laughed me out of her office :)
MamaLauri
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I would not worry if the skin was not broken.

letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

if i didnt see anything i wouldnt go to DR

michele115
by Michele on Nov. 5, 2014 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this
When Logan started daycare he was a major hair puller so he got bit alot. His teacher was more upset than I was about it. Told her you would think that would get him to stop but it didn't. No worries. It happens. When kids can't express their emotions they bite or hit.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)