• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Overnight diapers are not enough anymore.. is it time?

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:08 AM
  • 13 Replies

My son turned 3 in September. I think he is ready for potty training but maybe not. He doesn't talk, can't pull his pants up by himself, won't tell me if he peed or pooped, BUT he is happy to flush the toilet, reads books about the potty training, understands when I tell him I have to go potty or im in the potty, he fills up his 12 hour diapers every night and is soaked when I get him at 6:00AM. I don't give him anything to drink after 6:00PM. 

Is there another diaper to use? he is in a 6 now and around 35 lbs.

Is it time? Should I start? I wanted to wait until he could talk but that isn't coming so easlly. He can say Ipad but not much else! LOL

Any advise would be much appreciated. 

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

They make pull-ups, maybe even a night time pull-up.  Since he can't talk yet, I would put him on the potty and just see what happens, what his interest level is.  If he likes ipad, there is a great visual potty app, you can make the child look kind of like your son and show the steps of going pee and poop.  Might get him interested.  I'll look up the app name and tell you.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:16 AM
2 moms liked this

See me go potty.

jjamom
by Michele on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:18 PM
Can you teach him the sign for potty?

It sounds like he might be ready or close to it.

Also, is he on any meds? Sometimes meds can cause them to urinate more. My little guy was on lasix for a while, prior to heart repair and it is a diuretic. I remember his cardiologist telling me not to give it right before bed because of the soaking issue!
Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Try the Good nights pullups.
MicheleT32
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:45 PM
Thank you! All of you were a great help.
Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 8:26 AM

They make pads you can put in the diaper to help make it hold more. I think Walmart sells them but it's been a long time since I have used any diapers

thatgirl70
by Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 9:05 AM

There's nothing wrong with starting to potty train now, but until you are able to, move up to Pull-Ups or to Goodnights. You'll find both in your diaper section.

MicheleT32
by on Nov. 5, 2014 at 10:09 AM
Do the overnights fit only bigger kiddos? My son is 3 and around 35 lbs. will they be falling off of him??? The site said from 4 years up...

Quoting thatgirl70:

There's nothing wrong with starting to potty train now, but until you are able to, move up to Pull-Ups or to Goodnights. You'll find both in your diaper section.

thatgirl70
by Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 10:19 AM

My 7 year old is in the Goodnights S-M size, which goes from 38lbs - 65lbs (he's only in these at night, he is daytime bathroom trained and has been since 3--it's the night time we're still having issues with). If you feel that would be too big, then use Pull-Ups (these are both brand names I've given you btw). I don't remember the sizing chart on those anymore, because I haven't purchased them in a long time since my son has outgrown them.

Quoting MicheleT32: Do the overnights fit only bigger kiddos? My son is 3 and around 35 lbs. will they be falling off of him??? The site said from 4 years up...
Quoting thatgirl70:

MicheleT32
by on Nov. 7, 2014 at 11:36 AM
Night time Pull ups!!!!! Dry dry dry!!!!!
Thank you so much! I bought them and last night we tried them and this was the first time in a long time he woke up dry! Whew!
Success!!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)