Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi there :)

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 8:47 AM
  • 13 Replies
Not sure if I'm supposed to be here or not, I'm not sure if my son counts as special needs or not. My son Ej is 4 1/2, he was diagnosed with a global developmental delay, they are also thinking he is autistic but not sure. He does speech therapy and OT twice a week each. He is currently at a 3 year old level. I'm so lost on all of this. Idk what to think and thinking it's my fault. My nephew was just born this past Monday and has a brain issue, agenisis of the corpus callosum abd they think my son has this as well which would point to his delay. Anyone have advice? Sorry this is kinda all over the place but Idk how else to put it.
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 20, 2014 at 8:49 AM
Welcome to the group!!! You definitely belong here...no doubt about that!!! Hugs!

My son is Autistic and my good friends son has what your nephew has.

We are here for you!!
MrsViau
by New Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 8:51 AM
Thanks!! Do you know if they found your friends son's issue while pregnant? Because we aren't sure if we need to have my kids looked at. It's supposed to be genetic on my husbands side. My nephew is my BILs baby, husbands brother.

Quoting darbyakeep45: Welcome to the group!!! You definitely belong here...no doubt about that!!! Hugs!

We are here for you!!
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 20, 2014 at 9:04 AM
Yes, she was 25 weeks or so pregnant when they found out. The little boy is now 4 years old. He has CP, Chronic Lung Disease, g-tube, and serious epilepsy...he had a VNS placed a few months ago.

Quoting MrsViau: Thanks!! Do you know if they found your friends son's issue while pregnant? Because we aren't sure if we need to have my kids looked at. It's supposed to be genetic on my husbands side. My nephew is my BILs baby, husbands brother.

Quoting darbyakeep45: Welcome to the group!!! You definitely belong here...no doubt about that!!! Hugs!

We are here for you!!
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Welcome and hugs!  None of this is your fault, so first thing to do is get rid of that thought and stop letting the idea haunt you!  Second, if you want to know developmentally what is up with your son, ask for a referral to a developmental pediatritian to evaluate him for autism, etc.  you can also take the Mchat at autismspeaks.org to checko for red flags to talk to your doctors about.  I have two on the spectrum.

i have two friends with the brain abnormality you mentioned. They found out in utero or very early on after delivery of a 23 week preemie.  They always knew, and both of theirs are severely impacted by it with abundant delays.  If you are concerned about your kids, ask their doctor about testing and go from there.  Hugs!  I think the more information you gain about your kids may ease some of your worries and stress. I hope you get answers.

jjamom
by Michele on Dec. 20, 2014 at 9:54 AM
Welcome to the group! These ladies have good ideas for where to start.

There used to be a Mom in here who had a DD with this (an epilepsy and autism as well), but I haven't seem her here in a while. I think her screen name is epilepsymom. Her DD is a teen and they have been dealing with this all for years. She may be a good resource if you want to try to pm her.
mandee1503
by Amanda on Dec. 20, 2014 at 10:19 AM
Welcome to the group!
dawncs
by Dawn on Dec. 20, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Welcome to the group! You belong here definitely! It is not your fault at all because you can't control what genetics does at all!

Dawn
Asperger Syndrome Published Author
Asperger Syndrome diagnosed May 1997 as an adult
Inherited genetic Metabolic Syndrome diagnosed August 2014 (maternal side)
My Author Page

MrsViau
by New Member on Dec. 22, 2014 at 4:34 AM
Sorry took so long to respond, the baby has been sick and it's just been stressful.

He has seen a developmental pedi and they are the ones thinking he is autistic, but aren't ready to diagnose him with that yet. So they are just saying a global developmental delay. Which is more stressful for me because they said it can be anything. He has an IEP next month because we were told he won't be allowed in school without him. Which makes me sad because he really wants to go to school with his cousin.

I am waiting for an appt to have both my kids looked at and tested. I'm hoping that gives us some kind of answers for whatever it is that may be happening.

Thank you for your kind words, it means a lot to me. My husband keeps saying he is fine, but this mommy needs answers so I can have the best way to help him.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Welcome and hugs!  None of this is your fault, so first thing to do is get rid of that thought and stop letting the idea haunt you!  Second, if you want to know developmentally what is up with your son, ask for a referral to a developmental pediatritian to evaluate him for autism, etc.  you can also take the Mchat at autismspeaks.org to checko for red flags to talk to your doctors about.  I have two on the spectrum.

i have two friends with the brain abnormality you mentioned. They found out in utero or very early on after delivery of a 23 week preemie.  They always knew, and both of theirs are severely impacted by it with abundant delays.  If you are concerned about your kids, ask their doctor about testing and go from there.  Hugs!  I think the more information you gain about your kids may ease some of your worries and stress. I hope you get answers.

MrsViau
by New Member on Dec. 22, 2014 at 4:35 AM
Awesome :) Thank you. I will definitely be doing that.

Quoting jjamom: Welcome to the group! These ladies have good ideas for where to start.

There used to be a Mom in here who had a DD with this (an epilepsy and autism as well), but I haven't seem her here in a while. I think her screen name is epilepsymom. Her DD is a teen and they have been dealing with this all for years. She may be a good resource if you want to try to pm her.
MrsViau
by New Member on Dec. 22, 2014 at 4:35 AM
Thank you :)

Quoting mandee1503: Welcome to the group!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)