Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does it ever get easier?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:23 AM
  • 16 Replies

My son had a series of seizures late yesterday afternoon into the evening. Luckily he didn't need to be hospitalized this time. Usually when he has them, they are so violent, continuous and long lasting that he requires medical attention.

Although there were continuous, they were not particularly violent. He just rode them out and when they finally ended, he continued to be disoriented for a couple of hours. After finally falling asleep, I just laid in bed with him all night, watching him afraid to sleep in case it happened again. When he woke up this morning, he was mostly back to himself but he is still having some balance issues and disorientation.

It has been 2 months and 24 days since his last seizures, which required hospitalization. Prior to that he had been seizure free for 13 months.

I felt the adrenaline kick in when it was happening but once I knew he was going to be okay after rest and recovery time, the adrenaline crash hit me pretty hard and I just sat there and cried while he slept.

Does it ever get easier watching your child struggle, have an episode or require medical attention due to their health issues?

by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:59 AM

no , for us it dosent get easier.

Hugggggs

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:01 PM

Nope.  Never gets easier on my end.  Any surgery, hospital procedure, health struggle, therapy struggle, child anxiety, meltdown,etc.  if it causes them pain, discomfort, torment I'm done in!  I Hold it together on the outside for others, but my insides are a mushy mess of stress and anxiety.  While the actual struggles may change and evolve as they grow, I do not see my reaction to it changing.

im sorry about the long night.  I hope his meds kick back in and do their job.

mandee1503
by Amanda on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:10 PM
*hugs* nope it never gets easier.
jjamom
by Michele on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:02 PM
Hugs! I hope you get some rest today and I hope his seizure activity stops. No, I don't think it gets easier.
Linagma03
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:35 PM

No I don't think it gets easier. 

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:48 PM
With the seizures- no. It never ever gets easier. Seizures are so scary and so out of your control. The developmental disabilities and anxiety induced meltdowns and acceptance of his future has become easier and easier as the years have passed... But the seizures- even when he had hundreds a day, each one hit me like a punch in the chest. It ripped me apart, watching him suffer so.

I'm so sorry, Mama.
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:50 PM

I don't know,,,, it doesn't seem to me that it's any easier watching him struggle so... When he has a bad day, I have a bad day.. It tears my heart out,,, I don't know, will I ever get use to having my heart torn out? Or will I be numb? Or will he NOT struggle so... (Please, let's go with the last one!) 

i have it easy... We have no physical issues (aside from PT/OT) My heart breaks for you moms who need to endure that... :( BIG hugs!!! 

MamaLauri
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:25 PM

Major Hugs Mama, No it does not get easier as long as they continue to struggle. Our prayers are with you that he gets better.

ExtremeBusyBee
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 7:09 PM

I think sometimes it depends on how exhausted I am as to how well I handle it, but to be honest I hurt when mine goes through it. Praying helps me, but if you don't believe in God, I don't know what to say to help. We have been seizure free for 7-8 months now on Onfi but his dr.'s say he will never be seizure free so I am just holding my breath for now. (This is the longest he's ever gone without one and he's 11 years and has had seizures since he was 6 months old.)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 15, 2015 at 6:03 AM

I'm so sorry to hear this Michelle.  My heart breaks for you as I know this must have been super hard to see.  Big hugs!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)