Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autistic Student Kicked Out of School Over a Mistaken Hug & Kiss

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:38 AM
  • 7 Replies

Autistic Student Kicked Out of School Over a Mistaken Hug & Kiss

college campusIf you were hugged and kissed on the top of your head by a stranger, would you report it as sexual assault? Twenty-year-old Brian Ferguson is autistic and he is banned from college for hugging a kissing a woman. Ferguson was taking special needs classes at Navarro College's Waxahachie Campus in Texas when he reportedly saw a woman he thought he knew in the hall. Ferguson, who is six foot five inches tall, hugged her and gave her a kiss on top of her head -- it's his way of saying hi. It turned out that the woman didn't know him and she reported the incident to school officials who have expelled him.

This is a bit tricky to make a fully informed judgment because we didn't see the hug or the kiss. If this woman felt threatened, then she did the right thing by reporting the issue. However, maybe the case could be handled differently.

As of now, Ferguson is suspended indefinitely. His mother, Staci Martin, said that the Dean told her that he son is "no longer welcome back." Ferguson is allowed to take classes at Waxahachie High School, but not on the Navarro campus. That makes me happy that he can continue his education. He has also publicly apologized to the woman he hugged and kissed on the head. Is this a case of being too sensitive? Or not accommodating inclusion? Perhaps once reported, the campus had no choice but to follow certain protocols. I hope this doesn't derail Ferguson's progress. And as always, a bit of kindness and understanding goes a long way.

Do you think Ferguson should be expelled?

by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
leomomof3boys
by Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:45 AM

That is BULLSHIT!!!!!!! My son loves to hug people his way saying hi to people doesnot do it all the time though.

letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:26 AM

tough call i would need more details

jjamom
by Michele on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:36 PM
2 moms liked this
Ridiculous! If this woman knows this young man has autism, shame on her. The school, knowing full well he has autism should have handled the situation differently.
MamaCeleste0722
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow this happened in the town next to mine! That is crazy! Without knowing the entire story, my first thought is that he should not have been kicked out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Linagma03
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this

It is hard to say because there are so many rules now a days about sexual harassment and harassment in general. We as a society are turning into people that don't have human contact or much empathy it seems like. 

Considering that he thought he knew her and wasn't just hugging and kissing a complete stranger, at to him, I think that it could've been handled differently especially if he realized that he made a mistake and apologized for it. I have said hello to a person that I thought I knew and even asked about their child only to discover I wasn't talking to who I thought I was. 

PinkButterfly66
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 7:55 PM
2 moms liked this

I think the punishment doesn't fit the crime.  The guy should have gotten a warning to keep his hands to himself.  And then if there was repeat,  disciplinary actions like suspension would be warranted.

MamaLauri
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 5:42 PM

I totally agree, but would add he should receive social training about physical contact.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

I think the punishment doesn't fit the crime.  The guy should have gotten a warning to keep his hands to himself.  And then if there was repeat,  disciplinary actions like suspension would be warranted.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)