Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bad Teeth?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:48 PM
  • 14 Replies

Does anyone else's special needs child have bad teeth? My son is 5 years old and has 9 cavities! I couldn't believe it when they told me, I was aware of only one but I did not think it was that bad. I feel like I failed as a mom now :( Is it common with special needs kiddos to have bad teeth like that? Please tell me I am not alone here.

by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TommyAbby
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:55 PM

You aren't. I work for a dental clinic for kids and adults with special needs. 

Some HATE flossing, some only allow minimal brushing.. 

Unless you can brush his teeth very well for the two minutes 2x daily and floss, it can happen. 

You also have to factor in genetics. If you or your husband have bad teeth, it can be passed down. 

Tip for you: Act flouride mouthrinse. Take a cotton swab and soak it with Act then rub it on his teeth each week. I usually have to dip 2 or 3 times to get enough to swab all the teeth.

It is similar to having a flouride treatment done at the dental office. I have done this with my two SN kids and so far, Abby has only had one cavity. 

mandee1503
by Amanda on Jan. 15, 2015 at 1:48 AM
It's common. Medicine and certain diets mess with teeth and gums. My sons teeth turn orange frequently because of his formula. His gums are also always inflamed from his medicine. The dentist said he sees it all the time.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 15, 2015 at 5:58 AM

My son's teeth are okay...not great, but no cavities.  He doesn't eat much by mouth though and he drinks nothing. 

TommyAbby
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 12:25 PM
Forgot to add: do not eat or drink for 30 minutes after you do that!!
jjamom
by Michele on Jan. 15, 2015 at 1:25 PM
My son has never had a cavity, which I find amazing since brushing has been such a chore with his oral aversions. But, the dentist told me (and I recall reading it somewhere else) that kids with Down syndrome (which is what he has) have all kinds of dental issues, but that cavities are rare. So, maybe that's why in our case.
TommyAbby
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jjamom: My son has never had a cavity, which I find amazing since brushing has been such a chore with his oral aversions. But, the dentist told me (and I recall reading it somewhere else) that kids with Down syndrome (which is what he has) have all kinds of dental issues, but that cavities are rare. So, maybe that's why in our case.

I am surprised by that... we are one of two of the last clinics standing after all the budget cuts in NYS so we take care of clients all over western NY.  Half our filling patients are DS kids/adults.. more adults than kids, but still.  I wonder if it's the water or level of care in the homes here. 

jjamom
by Michele on Jan. 15, 2015 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I was very surprised as well and honestly just thought that maybe our dentist was making a statement based on his experiences, but then I read it somewhere as well. I am trying to recall exactly where else I read it, but this article talks about it. This article, however, states that dental decay in people with DS is a low-occurrence, but may not be as rare as previously thought.

ETA: Also, with that said, periodontic disease is said to be greater in people with DS because of a range of factors from poor hygiene to effects from medical issues and/or medications.

http://ds-health.com/dental.htm

Quoting TommyAbby:

Quoting jjamom: My son has never had a cavity, which I find amazing since brushing has been such a chore with his oral aversions. But, the dentist told me (and I recall reading it somewhere else) that kids with Down syndrome (which is what he has) have all kinds of dental issues, but that cavities are rare. So, maybe that's why in our case.

I am surprised by that... we are one of two of the last clinics standing after all the budget cuts in NYS so we take care of clients all over western NY.  Half our filling patients are DS kids/adults.. more adults than kids, but still.  I wonder if it's the water or level of care in the homes here. 

letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 8:42 PM

mine never had that many , but it happens so easy

garda15
by on Jan. 15, 2015 at 10:22 PM

My son has bad teeth... LOVES brushing his teeth (the feeling of the spinning vibrations), but has a terrible atomic bite so its impossible to move the brush around

T21momma
by Member on Jan. 16, 2015 at 5:13 PM

My dd saw a new dentist just this week. He told me people with DS rarely have cavities, but gum disease is more common than average. 

Quoting jjamom: I was very surprised as well and honestly just thought that maybe our dentist was making a statement based on his experiences, but then I read it somewhere as well. I am trying to recall exactly where else I read it, but this article talks about it. This article, however, states that dental decay in people with DS is a low-occurrence, but may not be as rare as previously thought. ETA: Also, with that said, periodontic disease is said to be greater in people with DS because of a range of factors from poor hygiene to effects from medical issues and/or medications. http://ds-health.com/dental.htm
Quoting TommyAbby:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)