Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IEP but real life in 8 yrs

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:58 PM
  • 7 Replies
I have a son w/ a 504(soon IEP). He was on level, but he had at least a dozen seizures between May and July 2014. He had to be taught his times tables again (learned in 3rd grade but forgotten most by this yr). He has ongoing issues w/ writing. He has also had OT therapy since he was in kindergarten. I want him to catch up and learn like his peers, but he will(unless I put my foot down) have to go to middle school with well below skills. Problem is, he seems to be coming out of his"fog" and is aware of his decline and wants to be held back. The schools frown on holding back students, but he wants to be(he works better w/ younger kids) and comes home now telling me how stupid he thinks he is. I hate that he knows all this and people tell me that holding my son back will harm him. Sorry, he was on level(actually reading chapter books back in 1st grade), but he now knows he has forgotten his basic skills and he wants another yr. I just wanted to know if holding back a child, since he is asking for it(and is not a behavior problem) is OK. He is socially emotionally mature beyond his yes. He is now in 5th grade.
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Jan. 15, 2015 at 1:50 AM
It's your decision. The teachers can recommend what they want but you have the final say. Good luck.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 15, 2015 at 5:57 AM

Welcome to the group!  Big hugs.  I'm honestly not sure as I've never been there, but I do agree with Amanda.  

jjamom
by Michele on Jan. 15, 2015 at 7:27 AM
School systems may frown upon holding students back, but still do so sometimes. A child with an IEP can legally attend school until age 21, so holding him back a year really should not be an issue.
letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 8:52 PM

do you think he will be teased  and bullied because he would be same grade over- , depends on the situation for me

MamaLauri
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2015 at 2:56 PM

Because his peers will be going to a different school this is the best time to hold him back. Especially because he wants it and is motivated to catch up. You do not need to decide today. Has he been given 1:1 tutoring on the subjects he is struggling on? He might catch up.

Linagma03
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2015 at 11:40 PM

Ultimately this is your decision and his input is extremely helpful in making this decision. You do what is best for your son and to hell with the school.  In this area I'm a believer in holding a child back if they need it or want it and moving them up if they need it. 

michele115
by Michele on Jan. 19, 2015 at 7:22 AM
Maybe he can do summer school to catch up? Is there someone who can work with him when school is out?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)