Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IEP blah

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:24 PM
  • 27 Replies
Catera has an IEP that covers a speech communications class , twice a week.
Her SLP filed an amendment , requesting an Eval for OT.
The OT Eval is closing and she does qualify.
BUT.. She will no longer qualify for the speech class upon her next report. In approximately 4 weeks.
Therefore, she will no longer get OT services. She hasn't even started them!!!!! Ahhh
What was the point in the Eval?
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 2:50 PM

Why are her OT services dependent on her speech ones?  Shouldn't matter.

Caidysmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 2:56 PM
The SLP said "the OT has to be a need , linked to her speech class" . Ot isn't a stand alone service

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

jjamom
by Michele on Jan. 20, 2015 at 2:58 PM
That's what I was thinking! If the OT eval revealed that she qualifies for OT, then it should not be dependent on her speech qualification. What are we missing?

Is it because she is coded for a speech delay on her IEP? If that is the case and she still needs services (OT) I would check into changing the code on her IEP. Does she have a dx? I remember she had the heart repair, but can't recall what other issues, if any. OHI is other health impairment and may fit?

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

jjamom
by Michele on Jan. 20, 2015 at 2:59 PM
OT is absolutely a stand alone service!

Quoting Caidysmom: The SLP said "the OT has to be a need , linked to her speech class" . Ot isn't a stand alone service

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Caidysmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 3:01 PM
For preK?

Quoting jjamom: OT is absolutely a stand alone service!

Quoting Caidysmom: The SLP said "the OT has to be a need , linked to her speech class" . Ot isn't a stand alone service

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm stumped!!

The only stretch I could see was if the OT request was for oral motor/feeding related to speech/mouth and not that it was requested for fine motor???  Otherwise I do not get the denial and would push for OT eval and services independent of speech.

Quoting jjamom: That's what I was thinking! If the OT eval revealed that she qualifies for OT, then it should not be dependent on her speech qualification. What are we missing? Is it because she is coded for a speech delay on her IEP? If that is the case and she still needs services (OT) I would check into changing the code on her IEP. Does she have a dx? I remember she had the heart repair, but can't recall what other issues, if any. OHI is other health impairment and may fit?
Quoting Momof4AEMW:

jjamom
by Michele on Jan. 20, 2015 at 3:12 PM
At any age, even infant-toddler, if they qualify. In order to qualify, a child usually has to test a certain percentage of a delay in the area. My son automatically qualified because of his dx, but he would have qualified for OT anyway, I'm sure because he has huge fine motor delays.

What is her IEP code?

Quoting Caidysmom: For preK?

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Caidysmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 3:26 PM

Mobile Photo

I don't know what the "code" is..
Primary Exceptionality : speech impaired

We haven't made the final Amendment for OT.
The amendment for Eval states ..
Not sure if you can read it.

Quoting jjamom: At any age, even infant-toddler, if they qualify. In order to qualify, a child usually has to test a certain percentage of a delay in the area. My son automatically qualified because of his dx, but he would have qualified for OT anyway, I'm sure because he has huge fine motor delays.

What is her IEP code?

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Caidysmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 3:29 PM
The IEP thing is new to me this year . She has been in medical feeding since 10 months, PT 4 months , OT 15 m, and speech 18 m .

Quoting jjamom: At any age, even infant-toddler, if they qualify. In order to qualify, a child usually has to test a certain percentage of a delay in the area. My son automatically qualified because of his dx, but he would have qualified for OT anyway, I'm sure because he has huge fine motor delays.

What is her IEP code?

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this
For our prek services (early knterventikn) here you need a 33% delay in 2 areas (sppech & OT) to get services... Is that the issue?

How old is she? Will she b going into CPSE (school services soon?) before That she should be due a full eval- ot speech pt, cognitve, psychological.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)