Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Emergency contact names?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:52 PM
  • 14 Replies

Do you know, is it mandatory for your school to have other peoples names In CASE of emergency? 

My son will be going to school an hour away from my home. 

I'm filling out his school paperwork.. And it asks for 4 other people in emergency contacts. 

We only have elderly aunt and uncle (75, 79 and sickly) I asked her and she said she was not comfortable being a contact in case DS was sick. 

All others are friends with kids here... I don't even feel it's an option to ask a friend to drive 2 hours round trip to pick up my kid if he is sick... 

Which leaves me and hubby... 

If I leave it blank, do you think they'll think I. Just forgot? LOL... 

But Im wondering if it is mandatory to put someone....

by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RainbowPetals
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I never list anyone but my husband and I..they have never said anything..and for awhile it was just me that was on her pick-up list

jjamom
by Michele on Feb. 23, 2015 at 2:52 PM
I list my parents, who are over an hour away and my SIL who is 40 mins away. But I specify to try mine and DHs home and cell phones first. I've never had anyone be called besides me in 13 years of school for my kids. If they press the issue, I'd just list someone and be done with it. If that person is EVER called and says "no", they will keep trying to contact you and your husband until they get hold of you.
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 3:04 PM

I know we need to incase dad or I could not be reached.  Or if we ran into an issue and needed an alternate to pick the kids up.  I listed our parents and our ABA therapist.

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 3:12 PM

My dad is 16 hour drive.. Hubby's dad is not even driveable... Only by flying. bith our moms have passed. 

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

I know we need to incase dad or I could not be reached.  Or if we ran into an issue and needed an alternate to pick the kids up.  I listed our parents and our ABA therapist.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 3:18 PM

Close friend?  Sometimes I just think if the school misses reaching me, but reaches them, they can reach me, and then I can still go do the pick up.  The friend would probably never need to go.

Quoting SamMom912:

My dad is 16 hour drive.. Hubby's dad is not even driveable... Only by flying. bith our moms have passed. 

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe I can ask a good friend who usually always knows where. I am (we chat and text so much!) just as a well, you typically knew where I am to find me... Would you mind... Yeah, she would NEVER drive... (Hates driving around town! Lol.. But she would find me! ) lol... 

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Close friend?  Sometimes I just think if the school misses reaching me, but reaches them, they can reach me, and then I can still go do the pick up.  The friend would probably never need to go.

Quoting SamMom912:

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

mandee1503
by Amanda on Feb. 23, 2015 at 4:35 PM
I put my mom and grandma but always put my number first. They always call me.
Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 4:47 PM

We have to have them but they are only if for some reason they need someone ASAP. They have never had to use it. For the most part a sick kid can wait in the nurses office until one of us can get them. We have to have them for reason like my DD, in high school had a bomb threat 2 years ago. It was cold and the kids could not go back in the schools at all until the school was cleared. The kids needed to go home ASAP. I was able to reach a good friend of mine who went and got her. Now I list all her friends parents so she can be picked up by them if need be. 

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe once my son makes a friend I can ask since they will be way closer. :) 

Quoting Jessiejack:

We have to have them but they are only if for some reason they need someone ASAP. They have never had to use it. For the most part a sick kid can wait in the nurses office until one of us can get them. We have to have them for reason like my DD, in high school had a bomb threat 2 years ago. It was cold and the kids could not go back in the schools at all until the school was cleared. The kids needed to go home ASAP. I was able to reach a good friend of mine who went and got her. Now I list all her friends parents so she can be picked up by them if need be. 

Linagma03
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:07 PM

I don't think you have to. I just recently removed all but one of the contacts on Lina's paperwork because those people can't have access to their phones while they work and since I'm the only one that drives in the house I always have my phone on even if I'm in the dr office just in case. The only contact that I left on the paperwork was DH becaue when he is home and I'm gone his phone is on so in the extremely rare case that they wouldn't be able to reach me they could call him and he'd call me. I keep my phone on 24/7.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)