Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So weird.

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 2:18 PM
  • 9 Replies

backpackSo as you all may remember Sam is only attending school for 2.5 hours a day. He has an aide and his own office and is not required to do curriculum since January.

We finally chose his new classroom in a new district and got him registered mid this week. We were supposed to have a conference call to figure out his start date, but it got postponed until this coming Monday. 

I picked Sam up from school at 12 today. I was met at the door with Sam and the SE teacher.. With a Lord and Taylor shopping bag filled with SAMs desk supplies and she said.. "Wishing you the best, take care!  Keep in touch!"

so, I GUESS today is SAMs last day at his school? I was NOT made aware of that. 

We don't have a start date for new school yet. No one gave me any warning.. You think after being in this school for 3.5 almost 4 years someone aside from his current teacher (and don't forget, this is only 1 of his teachers! He has 3!) might come say goodbye?  

I hate this school. I just hate them. They are so unprofessional, uncaring, unorganized....

.... listen, I don't expect a parade... But for 4 years, 3 teachers a year ---teachers, OT, PT, SW, school principal...worked with him...too many IEP meetings to count... Tons of teachers gifts, for F's sake Sam made them valentines cookies which they never even thanked him for or mentioned.... Sigh.. No one else has anything to say?

Good riddance, I guess... Smfh!!  

They are so weird here. 

by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
golfqueen123
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow!!  Sounds good that you are changing schools.  That would make me feel te same way as you!! Good luck to you when e starts his other school!

jjamom
by Michele on Feb. 27, 2015 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Hmmm, does seem odd all around. Maybe they said goodbye before you picked him up? Otherwise, yeah, poor Sam, way to make the kid feel special.

Do you think they misunderstood about the timing of his departure since he was registered at the new school, files transferred, etc? I probably would have made some kind of smart assed comment to the effect of "if I had known it was his last day, I would have sent treats".
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, weird!  I'd wonder if some of the teachers did not know either?  Like the sped teacher knew but did not pass info on.  Or maybe it wasn't suppose to be the last day since he doesn't have a start date yet.  Weird.

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:49 PM

It's why I didn't think it was SAMs last day... Since we don't have a start date and our phone conference meeting isn't until Monday... And I'm HOPING they say he can start Wednesday or Thursday... (But I'm not sure.. They may say NEXT week) and I was thinking Sam could go to school at his current school UNTIL we have a start date... 

But then here I go picking him up to a bag of his stuff and a "good luck!" 

Sooo Bizarre!!! I honestly think sometimes with things like this, that IM the Autistic one.. Like is it me, I'm clueless on how the world works!? LOL...

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Yes, weird!  I'd wonder if some of the teachers did not know either?  Like the sped teacher knew but did not pass info on.  Or maybe it wasn't suppose to be the last day since he doesn't have a start date yet.  Weird.

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I did say Oh, I didn't realize today was his last day.... And yeah, thanks... Good luck to you too... I was sincere, but I was DEFINETLY caught by surprise.. And didn't say goodbye properly to the nice security guard or the receptionist (who was at lunch) and sigh, ugh, just so weird!!!?!? I was kind of confused leaving the school like... Did I miss an email or notice? 

Quoting jjamom: Hmmm, does seem odd all around. Maybe they said goodbye before you picked him up? Otherwise, yeah, poor Sam, way to make the kid feel special. Do you think they misunderstood about the timing of his departure since he was registered at the new school, files transferred, etc? I probably would have made some kind of smart assed comment to the effect of "if I had known it was his last day, I would have sent treats".

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol!  I sometimes too think the ASD rubs off on me!  But no, seems like they just did not communicate well.  Very odd.

Quoting SamMom912:

It's why I didn't think it was SAMs last day... Since we don't have a start date and our phone conference meeting isn't until Monday... And I'm HOPING they say he can start Wednesday or Thursday... (But I'm not sure.. They may say NEXT week) and I was thinking Sam could go to school at his current school UNTIL we have a start date... 

But then here I go picking him up to a bag of his stuff and a "good luck!" 

Sooo Bizarre!!! I honestly think sometimes with things like this, that IM the Autistic one.. Like is it me, I'm clueless on how the world works!? LOL...

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Linagma03
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 7:02 PM

Weird isn't the word that I would've used. It does sound like it is good that he is out of that school. Good Luck to Sam in the next school! 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 28, 2015 at 8:03 AM
Hmmmm..,,that is odd.
Gloria1025
by Member on Feb. 28, 2015 at 8:35 AM

You are too kind - weird is not the word I would have used.  How about "illegal"???  They owe him those days of education.  I would email the school and politely explain what happened and ask them how they are going to make up the days he missed while waiting to get him into his new school?  It may get him ESY if you want it.  With all of the days and hours he has missed over the years, they have been denying him FAPE - they owe him A LOT!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)