Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your child do half or full day of school?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 10:41 PM
  • 23 Replies
Does your child do a full day of school? Or do they do half day school half day therapy?
And how old is your child?

Are they mainstreamed? How does that work if there not! New to this!

Our son is 5 and trying to determine if he should do a full day of school with ABA a couple evenings a week or do half day school half day ABA ?

The school would rather him do a full day but I know I can write ABA into his IEP
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ProudMeof2
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:42 PM

Javier is 5 and hoes a full day at school and then goes to therapy 3 times a week for 1 to 2 hours. During school he does ST and OT with his IEP.

MixedCooke
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:47 PM

she does full time until 2pm

barbie_girl870
by Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 12:24 AM
My son is 16 now.he started out full day main stream then when the melt down he went thru his kindergarten year we did half a day main stream. Then we did special class he did ok til third grade then that did not help. He has been home bound since the school sends a teacher to our house for four hours a day. I hope you have better luck than we have had.
mandee1503
by Amanda on Mar. 17, 2015 at 1:48 AM
My ds has half day. He's still in preschool. Next year for kinder it will be full time. They school does his therapy. We don't therapy at any other place currently.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 17, 2015 at 6:08 AM

My son goes to a private Autism school that is ABA based, so he gets ABA while at school during the day:)

jjamom
by Michele on Mar. 17, 2015 at 7:07 AM
My son goes full day. He's in 3rd grade. He has been going full day since K (after 3 years of 1/2 day preschool). He is in a program where he spends time in both a self contained class and the Gen Ed 3rd grade each day. He gets speech and OT therapy at school and we do private speech and feeding therapy after school, but we don't ABA.
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 7:15 AM

Write the aba (if you feel strongly that it would help him... research it first). My son goes to school all day long. He leaves house at 7:30 am and gets home around 4 pm. He has an hour drive to school and an hour back.

He gets all of his therapies at school.

School won't be just about school stuff, my son learns a lot of things that apply to every day life while at school.

BlessedAgain3
by Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 10:11 AM
Quoting Basherte:

Write the aba (if you feel strongly that it would help him... research it first). My son goes to school all day long. He leaves house at 7:30 am and gets home around 4 pm. He has an hour drive to school and an hour back.

School won't be just about school stuff, my son learns a lot of things that apply to every day life while at school.

My son does ABA now and I love it, he's been doing it 2 years
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Quoting BlessedAgain3:
Quoting Basherte:

My son does ABA now and I love it, he's been doing it 2 years

I just say that because some ABA is nothing more than getting them to stop the hand flapping and other self helping tools they use without giving them anything to replace the ones they are getting rid of.

I let my son flap his hands and jump around and spin, because those activities don't hurt anyone else, and they help him to regulate himself. My son also has aba, but it's more to help him stop the behavior that can hurt him or others and help him to replace those behaviors with other things that will still help him self regulate but not hurt himself or others.

N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 11:14 AM

Jacob is 6 years old. He goes all day. He gets his speech and ot 1 day a week at school.     Morning class he is in special ed. Afternoon he is with most of a class that not special ed.    Jacob has autism .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)