Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

mileya 11

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 2:16 AM
  • 6 Replies
Hello quick question my girl mileya 12yrs old 6th grade middle school we also have Down Syndrome her class goes on quite a few field trips mostly on fridays she loves her training activities anyway I'm a working mom at night but I go on all their trips am I being overly protective of mileya she has a learning disability but ither wise functions as a regular 12yr old. ??? Am I hurting her abilities to learn & function more in her own ??
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 2:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Apr. 10, 2015 at 7:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Because you go on the trips? I'd say no. I bet she loves you there with her
Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 7:50 AM

All the trips seems like a lot if they are often. I would pick a few to go on. Give other parents the chance to go and your child the chance to listen to other adults. 

letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this

i dont think it hurts anything for you to go , only if she dont want you to go

then you would have to feel the staff she goes with is capable of caring and watching her-,,, im the same as you-

jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this
My son is 9 and has Down syndrome. I go on almost all of his trips too. They have been going on bowling trips this Spring because thy are doing a bowling unit in PE and the local bowling alley (5 mins from school) lets them go for free. I haven't gone on any of these because they didn't ask for chaperones. Otherwise, I usually go, especially if it goes over lunch because my son has feeding issues. If it is anywhere that is large and/or with the Gen Ed class I go as well and they usually give me a group, with Alex being one of the kids in the group. I just feel a lot more comfortable on those big field trips if I am there. He loves for me to go. He gets plenty of opportunity to interact with a variety of adults at school, from aides and therapists to cultural arts teachers and volunteers. I don't think going on field trips is a big deal.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 11, 2015 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this
These ladies have some good thoughts. Hugs!!!
michele115
by Michele on Apr. 12, 2015 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this
My son has down syndrome also. He's only in preschool right now but I know I'm going to want to go on his trips. They're going to the circus next week. I'm going to try to go.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)