Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone with advice???

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 6:18 AM
  • 5 Replies

Hello, 

I have a 11 yr old with a dignosis of Autism, ADHD,ODD and onduct disorder. 

he had been in refocaus class room 13 times this week and everythime they call me (i understand that and like the fact they call me) well this is an ongoing issue. here is my thing his regular teacher is out with a medical issue and they are changing subs everyday and it doesnt help because as we all know, consistance with these kids is huge. i have asked him to be transfered to a class room that has a consistant teacher and it would be better for him. they refused (stating he has to learn to deal with every type of person in life and not run from people he doesn't like). i am so frusterated with the school and not sure what to do, i have sense asked for him to be in a contained class room if they can't put him in another classroom. any advice?

by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 6:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Apr. 10, 2015 at 7:04 AM
I would call for his iep to be reeveluated and put in it that he needs to be placed somewhere structured if he has to go to the refocus class more then say 3-5 times in a week. He needs consistency and structure. Good luck.
SnowWhieQueen
by Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 7:24 AM
This!!! Its about all you can do...

Quoting mandee1503: I would call for his iep to be reeveluated and put in it that he needs to be placed somewhere structured if he has to go to the refocus class more then say 3-5 times in a week. He needs consistency and structure. Good luck.
jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 10, 2015 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this
That is really frustrating! Yes, he needs to be able to interact with a variety of adults, but NOT by changing up the teacher on a daily basis. He should have the consistency of one teacher and the variety comes in with therapists, aides, cultural arts teachers, etc. I think they are using that as an excuse not to provide him more consistency while this teacher is out. If he has been sent to refocus 13 times, that just proves that it isn't working. He is losing valuable educational time every time that happens. :(

ETA: and I bet he is not the only child having an issue, as lack of consistency and routine is so important to a lot of kids with SN.
Gloria1025
by Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 12:51 PM

I would call an IEP meeting and ask them how they are going to address the issues and ensure he has access to his education (FAPE)

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 12:56 PM

They aren't meeting his needs based on his disability.. Yes, he should be able to handle the "change" but it's proven to be too difficult that this point... He isn't learning, it's not appropriate right now.. And he needs consistency and to be learning. They are wasting time.. HIS time... Part of his disability to transition, change, social difficulties... How is THIS environment supporting that? It's not helping at all. 

I'd go sit with the school for an Emergency IEP meeting to get this resolved. You're his advocate!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)